Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Tool - Units

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
Anonymous
625 Views, 10 Replies

New Tool - Units

On Mac, units in browser is inches. Created a new library, then new tool. Set tool units to inches. When I am entering tool data, such as flute length, if I type 1.5 and then hit enter I get .059 which is 1.5mm in inches. What am I missing?

I can work around this by specifying inches like 1.5in.

Is this broken or am I missing something?
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
konkers
in reply to: Anonymous

Yeah, I've found this too.  Since the Mac tool library is pretty new, I assume this will be fixed in the future. 

Message 3 of 11

Hi Paul,

Yes, as mentioned in another thread Mac Tool Library is now under development actively. I will look at this Unit issue with our Developer tomorrow to see if it is a defect.

Thanks,

Yanhua Li

Fusion 360 Quality Assurance

Yanhua Li
Fusion 360 Team
Message 4 of 11
hansun_zhu

Thanks for reporting this!

Yes, this is a known issue and the fix will be available in next update (Jan. 2015). Now the workaround is that you can type the unit like "1.5 in" together, it works fine.

Thanks again!

Hansun

Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: hansun_zhu

Will it be obvious when an update is available? Several things concerning me. I purchased a subscription to Fusion 360 Ultimate under the impression that CAM was released, not beta. I just went to use it for the first time and noticed the tool library is riddled with rediculously obvious errors. I had already questioned this status when I saw this forum titled "preview". I know this software is new and I am an early adopter, so I balance that in, but if something like this costs me a part or crash, I am going to be upset.

I hope I don't keep finding errors, at least not such obvious ones.

I'll look for the January update.
Message 6 of 11
hansun_zhu

We are applogizing for any inconvenience! And we take each customer feedbac in consideration very seriously! Thanks a lot for your great feedback!

Yes, when the update is availalbe, you will get an notice message on your mac when you launch Fusion 360. Please feel free to let us know when you have any questions.

Thanks

Hansun

Message 7 of 11
anthony.graves

Paul,

A few quick notes. 1) The CAM functionality is released, but the Mac implementation has the first cut of the new tool library which, as you rightly point out, has some bugs. 2) The update in Jan will include fixes for the new tool library. 3) Each time the software is updated you will be prompted and then the new update will download/install.

My recommendation is to go with the Windows version, if possible, until the update in January. Of course, this requires a Windows PC/Workstation, but you avoid the issues with the new tool library in the Mac version.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
in reply to: anthony.graves

Ok. I can do that via Bootcamp. I have this configuration for running Solidworks. I suppose having to do this will showcase the value of the cloud with Fusion 360.
Message 9 of 11
anthony.graves

Hey Paul. Yes. That will work. I have two laptops; an HP EliteBook and a MacBook Pro running both Mac OS and Windows via Boot Camp. In fact, a number of the folks on the CAM team are running MacBook's with the dual-boot setup so we can run all of our Autodesk CAM solutions on one device. I personally haven't seen any peformance degradation inside Windows running from Boot Camp. I'll probably put that on my lower priority to-do list, but I would image any differences in performance would be very small, maybe not worth mentioning. We'll see.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 10 of 11

Hi Paul,

How are you doing with programing and posting to the new Mini Mill?

I'm another Haas user, only our mills are al 5 axis trunion style (VF3 and VF5)

I will be contributing to this as I go along too...

www.genesisprecisionaz.com
info@genesisprecisionaz.com
Message 11 of 11
Anonymous

Thanks for posting. I have programmed and run a facing operation. That's it. Been playing (learning) with the control and software while I wait for my tooling order to arrive. So, not much to say other than I am just about to get rolling. I'm struggling a bit with Fusion at the moment. Mainly because I come from Solidworks and Mastercam background. Quite different. But, I pick this stuff up pretty quickly. I suspect I'll be posting pics of first part in a week or so.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report