Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help with toolpaths for a multi depth star wars carve using xcarve

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
275 Views, 5 Replies

Need help with toolpaths for a multi depth star wars carve using xcarve

I'm building a desk from butcher block and modeled out carves in fusion 360. I'm trying to use 3d adaptive clearing to complete the carves using multiple bit sizes. From 1/4 to 1/32 in bits. The job is 24" x 24" so this will take a long time and I'm trying to minimize that. 

Here is my screencast https://autode.sk/2WQbM5a

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
kamil.malec94
in reply to: Anonymous

Is file available?  

Are you Rest Machining for dia. 1/32?;

Enable Both Ways if disabled to limit code amount;

Check you Lead In/Out perimeters, I would suggest short G1 lead value as most of your stock is already roughed out;

It seems like your dia. 1/32 has very little stock to take out, did you think about using 2D contour around your profile with Roughing Passes enabled (so that you are not overloading your tool);

Another bandaid solution  is to divide this whole thing into segments (set Machining boundaries using sketches)

I hope this gives you some ideas. 

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: kamil.malec94

Here is the file

https://a360.co/3dzTFX4

I have not tried  2d contour 

Rest machining is enabled.

Message 4 of 6
daniel_lyall

Something that will make the cutting time a lot faster, do a 2D pocket for the very top of the part you can use the bottom hight to set its make depth also the cutting it out in sections saves having the cutter going from one side to the other.

I will post an example showing what I mean soon it takes a bit to gen the toolpaths.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: kamil.malec94

Any luck?

Message 6 of 6
mellamanjefe

Check your values and settings for Adjustment and Adjustment Offset in the Rest Machining section of the Geometry tab. Having these values out of sync will make the algorithm think it has more work to do than you anticipate, at least that has been my experience in carves like these.

Also, I recommend not using the adaptive clearing strategy for what I think you intend to be finishing cuts. The adaptive strategy does well removing large amounts of material in open space where it can travel unrestricted and not have to quickly change directions, as it will need in the edges of the carve you have.

My way of approaching a task like yours in this case would be to use an adaptive strategy with the largest bits, down to about the 1/8" cutter and 0.0 axial and 0.5mm (sorry I mostly work in metric) radial stock to leave. Then use the finer bits with contour strategies to clean the edges up by milling off the previous radial stock to leave.

One last note, you probably already thought about this, but make sure the flutes on your 1/32" bit can actually reach all the way down and cut without the neck crashing into the stock. That is a lesson I learned on my first carve :).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report