Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Need help on creating a tool path for a U shaped slot

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
james.darkhorsefishingmolds
314 Views, 6 Replies

Need help on creating a tool path for a U shaped slot

I am having a hard time trying to pick the correct tool path 2D/3D to cut a simple U shaped ball nose in a piece of aluminum. Any idea of what tool path to use?

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

@james.darkhorsefishingmolds 

Easiest one is probably the 2D Trace toolpath, it will follow the shape and just select one side and the set it to Left Compensation and it will run along the center of the slot if you are using the 1/8in Ball Nose.

If you want to do it in more than a single pass then use the "Axial Offset" option under the "Passes" tab to set number and depth of stepdowns.

Trace Ball Slot.jpg

Hope that helps

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 3 of 7

Awesome! That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Message 4 of 7

Okay it looked like we had it, but when I run the simulation the end mill exceeds the boundary of the groove. what would be the best way to keep the tool on center of the groove and keep the tool inside the groove? Sorry new to this tool path and just trying to figure it out. 

Message 5 of 7

@james.darkhorsefishingmolds 

The Trace toolpath runs on the selected geometry by default, to move it either left or right depending on which side you selected you need to set the "Sideways Compensation" to move it to the center of the groove, see Screencast below, watch it in Full Screen mode and you will see all the moves needed to create the toolpath and the Simulation, your file attached with the Trace created  🙂 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe
Regards
Rob

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous

Two ways, same result.

2020-10-21 21_33_01-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 7 of 7
james.darkhorsefishingmolds
in reply to: Anonymous

Thank each of you for the guidance. Through your videos and messages I was able to get it completed. I was having an issue with the end mill going all the way to the bottom when selecting the curve on the side. I figured it out once I made the stock translucent in the simulator, and had to give it a negative axial offset in the passes tab. Worked like a champ! 

Again, thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report