Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Morphed Spiral: Changing toolpath direction doesn't change the toolpath direction

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
FrodoLoggins
467 Views, 8 Replies

Morphed Spiral: Changing toolpath direction doesn't change the toolpath direction

As shown below the toolpath direction is the same after changing Other Way to One Way:

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
engineguy
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

@FrodoLoggins 

I believe that changing the option to "other way" just changes the end/side that the toolpath starts from, Morphed Spiral should I think always cut in the "Climb" direction.

Message 3 of 9

@FrodoLoggins Thanks for feedback. You can use "clockwise" option to change toolpath direction.

olegtikhomirov_0-1679651318246.png

But I agree that UI is a little bit confusing. I'll create a ticket.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 4 of 9

Any way for the user to specify if they want the toolpath to start bottom > top instead of top > bottom like this:

- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 5 of 9

Any plans on improving direction control with the spiral toolpath?

Making Spiral perform a facing operation that Rob Lockwood demonstrated a while back is finicky 99% of the time.

Something simple like this either takes 5 minutes of playing around or luck that some setting doesn't interfere with another:

Screenshot 2023-05-10 at 3.41.26 PM.png

Getting it to face off a part is easy but getting it to face off a part without plunging into the stock or conventional milling is not.

"Clockwise" checkbox, link from "out-in", "oneway/other way" all seem to either not make any change, or randomly  interfere with another setting.

Took me 10 minutes to find the right combination on 2 facing operations (because it's so finicky) and now for the 3rd of 4th it's impossible. Tried everything, won't do it. Just not doing what I tell it to and not doing what I tell it not to do (because sometimes that works).

Identical feature: Same settings, different settings; either the tool is conventional milling or it's plunging into the stock.

Sometimes it won't work so I'll change something > still won't work > change setting back > it works.

Message 6 of 9

Hi @FrodoLoggins,

Thanks for feedback. Could you please provide problemtic examples specially when seeting doesn't work initial but start working at some point as you described above?

"Clockwise" - specifies direction of the spiral from inside (It means that tool moves ccw when outside->in selected)

" Inside/Outside Directions" - works as expected. Forcing tool to move outside->in or inside->out.

As I said "Direction" option is confusing. I use "One way" to avoid direction swapping for cutting paths.

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 7 of 9

Hi so for example this spiral toolpath. It does mill outside > in as specified, but it doesn't climb mill nor mill clockwise no matter what I do:

https://youtu.be/WS0knxoYxTE

Uploaded by FrodoLoggins on 2023-06-01.
Message 8 of 9

Here's another example. Mills out > in but not clockwise:

Screenshot 2023-06-01 at 9.43.33 AM.png

Message 9 of 9

Hi @FrodoLoggins 

It works for me as expected. As I said it defines direction of spiral from inside not along your cutting direction. 

"CW" direction for spiral

olegtikhomirov_0-1685694930814.png

"CCW" direction for spiral

olegtikhomirov_1-1685695035286.png

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report