Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MACH3 G-code - Bad Character and K word problems

11 REPLIES 11
SOLVED
Message 1 of 12
ANDERSONRODANDCHOPPER
5859 Views, 11 Replies

MACH3 G-code - Bad Character and K word problems

Hello,

I am new to CNC and have been sketching in fusion 360 for a few months now.  I have recently decided to try posting some g-code and making chips on my mill.   I am running MACH3 and really do not know much about anything.... so I do apologize in advance for my vocabulary regarding this topic....  I have self taught myself with the help of you tube and some interweb forums and am slowing gaining speed when I have the time.  

Currently I have been able to post my code and load into Mach3 with no problem but  it quickly errors.  It states "bad character"  So I did some reading and figured out That I need to delete all of the : at the beginning of any line.   Next it decided it did not like the "K word".  So I have to manually go through the entire 2000 lines of code and delete any K's that I see.    Then, I get all of that done, and it says "Bad Character on line#  G18 .  I cannot seem to get past this one and believe I'm going to need some help.  From what I have read, G17 G18 and G19 are XY and YZ planes and that Mach3 doesn't like G18 for some reason???? 

So what I really need to know is how do I get Fusion to post a good G code for me that I don't have to edit the : K and G18. I do not know enough about CNC controllers and g-code etc to work around it and I'm basically crippled.   I am very happy with Fusion and look forward to any advice anyone may have.   Thank you for your time.  

Josh

11 REPLIES 11
Message 2 of 12

can you post a Gcode you have done, the G17 to 19 and K are fine in M3, and what post processor are you using, more info please

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 12

I have attached 3 files in .nc   None of them worked.   I was reading another thread on this forum regarding post processes and it triggered a little thing in my head that made me go in and change the post configuration from acramatic.cps to MACH3 generic.   I thought that was going to work (file 453.nc) but it did not.   So I changed the file to a .tap file for no other reason than to try it,  and SHAZZAMMMM is busted it right out.   I will post that somehow in a minute or on another reply.   New to this forum thing......

Message 4 of 12

@ANDERSONRODANDCHOPPER you have to use the Mach3 one 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 5 of 12

452.tap is the file that worked but this forum wont let me attach it?  I did take a snip and attach that if anyone is interested....  I did not have to edit anything.   It is a 1.5" hole with a chamfer.   It bored its way down but did not go all the way through the stock.... then I stopped it, changed tools, started it......  and it crashed.     Hahaha sounds like I have to practice my cam set up and machine setup/origin. Another topic.    Anyways, do you have a simple explanation or any advice I could learn from or anyone else that may read this may find interesting?   I could consider this resolved????

Thank you,

Josh

Message 6 of 12

it's the way the code is laid out, Mach3 can work with the fanic post, there are rules that each program has for what is G code And what is just notes mach is very forgiving but notes have to be in ( brackets)

no : or ;

you have to use the correct post for any machine most can use the fanic post's not all.

Mach3 is based around the first ever cnc control what all the older companies are as well, linux is the same hens why it works with fanic code and Macro B with a small diffrences but the structure is the same.

it's good when you know the person who started Mach2 what became mach3

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 7 of 12

I was able to fix the problem by using the MACH3mill.cps - Generic Mach3mill post configuration in the post process menu.   Also changed to a .tap file extension.    That cleared it all up real nice.

Thank you for the help @daniel_lyall

Message 8 of 12

@ANDERSONRODANDCHOPPER no problems, it should not matter what the extension is, this is the second this week. what version of M3 are you using.

it has to be a bug of some sort I can have .txt .nc .tap and it's fine.

it would be good to find the problem so I can post on the Mach3 forum

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 12

Im using MACH3 2.0 for no reason other than that is what came with the machine.   As far as the file extension I cant really explain any more other than when It changed to .tap it started making code without the K and the :   I remember having to toggle between the mill and turning drop down in the post process window to make sure it wasn't in .nc but now I cant get it into nc if Iwanted too go figure....  I dunno.

Message 10 of 12

OK thanks

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 11 of 12
Anonymous
in reply to: ANDERSONRODANDCHOPPER

Hi, I met the 'MACH3 G-code - Bad Character' here with '#10=[#8/360]*#7 ' , remove the '*' OK. please help.

Message 12 of 12
daniel_lyall
in reply to: Anonymous

More info 

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report