Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for someone to check my feed rates.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Anonymous
279 Views, 3 Replies

Looking for someone to check my feed rates.

I Just got a Amana 1/2" Carving 3D Straight (Tool Number 46579 http://www.amanatool.com/46579-cnc-2d-and-3d-carving-flat-bottom-x-0-10-deg-straight-angle-x-1-2-dia... and I am wondering if these feed rates look correct for cutting Sugar Pine (super soft wood)?

Screen Shot 2016-01-22 at 6.52.20 PM 1.png

I looked on the Amana Tools website since they usually have them there, but they did not have a chart, so I just guessed.

Tags (3)
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I've been cutting wood on a CNC router for over a year now, and 180 ipm is a little slow for that tool. You could probably go much faster, especially since you've got a brand new bit. As it dulls though, you'll have to slow things down to keep a nice surface finish. I noticed that your feed per tooth is the same as feed per rev. Since you're using a two flute bit, your feed per tooth will be half that, .0015. Here's a nice chipload chart for soft wood. Every tool and material will be different, so you have to experiment. I would start at 200 ipm and increase the feed until the surface finish started to suffer, then back it off a bit. Good luck in your cutting. 

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous

Clamp a sample of the wood on your bed and test what you have there. 

Wood will not be the same one day to the next. 

As with any wood it depends on the grain structure. 

3d routing of wood is what you can get away with on the day. 

With the rifle stocks I make I try to get to a point where I can finish the work in the same day! 

Just run run a sample and find out what you get. Nice thing is you can override the feeds and spindle speeds while your testing. 

Then update your Mops! 

One thing i do I do see on your mop is a plunge rate of 60in/per min. 

What depth are you plunging to? 

Message 4 of 4
daniel_lyall

watch you down feeds to fast and cutter will be toast, where you can ramp in. and dust comeing of the cutter is bad chips only just play 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report