Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letters not cut completely

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
difalkner
626 Views, 7 Replies

Letters not cut completely

This is a logo for the Baylor Bears and it seems straightforward enough but I can't get the letters to cut all the way (I found this logo online and converted it to svg in CorelDraw).  The file is attached and you can see I have stepped down from 1/8" to 3/32" to 1/16" and to 1/32" in some places but even though the 1/32" bit will easily fit inside the letters, it isn't cutting there (screenshot attached).

I may not have chosen the proper way to cut this so please help me get on the right path.  Our Associate Pastor went to Baylor and I am hoping to give this to him Sunday.  I'll cut it in Walnut.

Thanks in advance!

David

David Falkner
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
LibertyMachine
in reply to: difalkner

Trying to look at this in between 3 minute cycle times, it's not the easiest thing!

First off, all your adaptive toolpaths are leaving .020" axial and radial stock. This is likely the source of the issue. Second, Adaptive is not designed or intended to be a finishing toolpath. I suggest using 2D Pocket to finish your features

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 8
difalkner
in reply to: LibertyMachine

I can't believe I missed that!  I always turn that off, well, until now.  Ok, those are off but I created profiles for 2D Pocket with the same bits and have attached that file (screenshot attached, as well).  It doesn't appear to be very clean in the simulation but maybe I'm missing something in my interpretation of the simulation.

Is this what you had in mind?  Have I selected the correct geometry?  Also, how do I get rid of the warnings on these profiles?

Thanks, Seth!

David

David Falkner
Message 4 of 8
difalkner

I decided to cut it into a piece of MDF instead of risking my Walnut and I'm glad I did - there are errors.  I have attached a photo and the circles are where the 1/8" bit, labeled 2D Pocket5 (4), cut too much and the squares (or rectangles) are my fault because I set the 3/32" bit too low.  Also, there is a ton of wasted motion with the helix down toward the cut, especially with the 1/32" bit.  It looks like each time it does the helix it takes close to a minute with the bit nowhere close to touching anything.

Help! Smiley Frustrated

Thanks,

David

David Falkner
Message 5 of 8
LibertyMachine

I will try to take a look at it in a bit. Wrapping up a job ATM

Seth Madore
Message 6 of 8
LibertyMachine

The errors actually do show up in the Simulation, if you know what to look for and run it through:

2017-09-07_19h40_54.png

Your best bet would be to use 3D Pocket, as that is a "Model Aware" operation. However, it appears to be broken in regards to "Rest Machining, From Previous Operation". I've submitted a bug report in regards to that, so hopefully we hear back on that before too long.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
difalkner
in reply to: LibertyMachine

I guess I looked at the simulation too quickly.  I'll try it again with the 3D Pocket and see what I get.  Did I correctly choose the geometry?

Thanks again, Seth!

David

David Falkner
Message 8 of 8
LibertyMachine

Yes, you correctly selected the geometry. However, 2D Pocket is a "dumb" toolpath, in that it does not "see" the part. It will cut through whatever it needs to get where it needs to go (or break on it's way there). It IS possible to finesse that toolpath into what and where you need, but I find it's mostly just an excersise in frustration and annoyance. 

I did find that a 2d or 3d Adaptive followed up with a 3D Pocket does the trick quite nicely.

You can also use the Horizontal strategy with good results. That's found in the 3D operations tab

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report