Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lathe tooling definitions

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
ctscsmith
736 Views, 8 Replies

Lathe tooling definitions

The lathe tool definitions don't seem to react to custom geometries correctly, take a look at this: I am trying to use a .375 boring bar with a standard 80 degree c style insert.  I had to put the cutting length in as .25 for the width of the head (actually .38 IRL, but it kept making the tool way too big when I put in the correct numbers).

thumbnail_20191218_093516.jpgwhyyyyyyyy.JPGCapture.JPGactual.JPG

Tags (4)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: ctscsmith

I entered the parameters exactly as in the second picture and i'm getting a good tool in simulation. i also used the 80 degree c insert as you did. Can you attach the insert properties page

Untitled.png

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: ctscsmith

Fusion diagram is not in sink with boring bar dimensions in tool catalogs. Dimension from tip of insert to back of the bar should be from bar center line to tip of insert as shown in picture below,  see WF.

2019-12-18 11_39_46-Window.png

Message 4 of 9
ChrisDPCnc
in reply to: Anonymous

There is a whole ISO standard that the tool companies are adopting that defines the sizes of tools and dimension names.  If your looking to improve your tool library why not adopt this model too ?

Message 5 of 9

Hi,

Thanks for the info regarding standard ISO tooling. On investigating this I found that the function performs as you have suggested until you change the holder style to custom. Only then does the geometry state change from the centre of bar to the the tool tip. The new library replicates this functionality.

Just out of interest do you see any merit in seeing the ISO categories in the holder tab? ie. should 'overall length' say 'overall length - LF' and so on? 

Thanks

Chris

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 6 of 9

ISO has to be the way forward, The lathe tool definitions and tool paths need a lot of work, it would be nice bring in standard lathe tools from the larger suppliers Sanvick,Iscar,Walter etc

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Why do we have to switch to "custom" to get diagram that correctly depicts dimensions, seems to be up side down concept and it confuses people.

Message 8 of 9
christopher.cooperVHK2N
in reply to: Anonymous

Hello,

I may not of made it clear in my previous message so apologies. The function works as you suggested so will stay with the ISO standard until you change to custom setting. When using standard mode it depicts the ISO standard.

Thanks for your feedback on earlier message.

Chris

Christopher Cooper
Technical Consultant
Message 9 of 9
ctscsmith
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

It seems to be working ok with the preview of new lathe tools enabled.  Here are the insert settings anyway though. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report