Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to rotate the tool 90 degrees

9 REPLIES 9
Message 1 of 10
calexpavel
2588 Views, 9 Replies

how to rotate the tool 90 degrees

I have a machine that can rotate 90+- degrees on the x axis as in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMlXORG77g&t=304s

I've created a 3d adaptive toolpath, but now i want to create another operation and rotate the tool and clear the concave areas that can't be reached unless rotating the tool

.aero1.jpgaero2.jpg

How would i do that?

I attached the file.

Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
Steinwerks
in reply to: calexpavel

You would need to use the Tool Orientation option on the Geometry tab. This is only an option for Fusion 360 Ultimate subscribers so if you are using the standard version you will likely need to upgrade or find a workaround by using a separate setup and splicing the code together by hand (or setting another work offset on your machine although I would not know the specifics of how to go about this).

This video may be of some help:

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 3 of 10
calexpavel
in reply to: Steinwerks

Thanks!

Would tool orient rotate the tool axis, or is it just defining the tool axis for your machine?

Also, in the video he doesnt say anything about tool orientation, only about piece orientation.

Message 4 of 10
Steinwerks

You're right, I thought he did cover something of Tool Orientation in this one but I was wrong. My apologies.

Tool Orientation aligns the tool axis with a specified direction, but it is the post processor that handles this more specifically, and Machine Configuration will also be playing a part as it comes into usage, but I wouldn't worry about that part yet.

If you skip to about 1:38 of this video by @xander.luciano it covers some of the same principles:

I am honestly rather surprised that I couldn't find more videos on Tool Orientation. Perhaps I'll have to make one.

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 10
calexpavel

Thanks! I will check the video out.

Yes, I'm starting to find out how important the post is and how problematic this can be. Since my machine is not common I'm afraid I won't find a post that works.
Message 6 of 10
Steinwerks

Generally one would find (or ask about) a post that is "pretty close" and modify it as needed. Usually this only involves changing specific codes around for things like coolant or air, sometimes it can be a bit more involved. The posts are all written in JavaScript and are completely open to editing by the users. We're here to help also and do what we can, and there are resellers too who can customize posts in a more timely fashion for a reasonable price (usually under $1000 for most things as I understand it).

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 10
calexpavel

Thanks!
Yes, my vendor said that Fanuc would be the closest, and should work 95%, but they can't help me modify the post for Fusion since they have no experience with this software. They also suggested to ask for support from the software company for creating or modyfing the post. In a few days i receive the machine and i will start the first tests. I guess i should open a topic in the post forums anyway. 
Cheers!

Message 8 of 10
Steinwerks

What machine and control are you getting?

Neal Stein

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 9 of 10
calexpavel

It's a General Numeric, model LC Steel 1325. I don't remember the controller name, but i don't think anyone heard about it since it's not a common brand. I hope that's not going to be an issue.

Message 10 of 10
sportbikeryder

Your machine has a pivoting head. I am also working on an odd post for a maching that has a pivoting table. You will likley need to start with something similar to the post for a "Thermwood" machine. 

Do you know if your control supports TCP for "automatic" offset of the axis based on the tool tip location? 

You will need to figure out the speficic head pivot distance to start with. i believe this will be from the pivot to the base of the tool holder. This will be defined as PivotDistance. There will then be a HeadOffset calculated based on this PivotDistance and the tool length as input into your control. If you do not have the capability to provide tool length compensation in the control you will need to hard code the PivotDistance / HeadOffset in the post or add it to the selectable options in the beginning of the post to manually input the tool length. 

Good luck. Extra axis' are relatively easy to implement...until the axis dont intersect, as with a pivoting head machine. 

John

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report