Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move bodies to a flat surface?

7 REPLIES 7
Message 1 of 8
smellyskater
375 Views, 7 Replies

How to move bodies to a flat surface?

Hi Everyone,

I have several bodies floating in space in all directions and want to move them to a flat surface. Without checking the angle of each and rotating them, is there a way to move them quickly? The round bodies (Orange) need to move to the flat surface (grey). All flat and in line.

* EDIT. I have tried to select one, ctrl left click the surface and use align. This had the parts combine and not sit on the surface. (could also be because the file has been imported!?)

Screenshot 2023-09-25 23.20.26.png

Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
matty.fuller
in reply to: smellyskater

Have you tried the Arrange feature, or the Nesting & Fabrication extension? Both should work.
Message 3 of 8
smellyskater

Hi, Thanks for the reply. I am new to fusion and would like a little more help please. I don't know how to use the arrange feature properly. I have played with it and can use it for simple objects where they are already on a square plane. However, the objects I want to move are off in two or more directions. How do I check the bottom surface is flat and then but it down on the surface?

Appreciate your help! Thank you.

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

Here's a video I made for another user just yesterday:

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 8
smellyskater

Thank you for the response. I still can't make it work when I have a body that isn't already level. The body was made of a surface that wasn't flat. How do I move it so it is flat? I've moved it point to point. Align pushes it into the body I am trying to put it on. 

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

Would you be able to share your Fusion file here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d/.f3z file in your reply.

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
smellyskater

The file was imported as a step file from Rhino. The parts I am trying to nest are to be sent to be CNC'd. They need to be flat on the sheet. I have used the zebra analysis to check the bottoms are flat. Surely there must be a way to place a flat on a flat?

Your help is appreciated! 

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

The issue is this:
Our algorithm detects the silhouette of the part and it struggles with spline edges, often resulting in a failure. We've made some improvements to this algorithm, but it's still in development. I don't have a good answer for you at the moment, still poking away at the file as time allows.

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report