Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with toolpaths please!

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
522 Views, 7 Replies

Help with toolpaths please!

So I have been using my home built CNC for a while cutting wood and I am trying to transition into making my models and tool paths only within Fusion.  However, I am having trouble getting my toolpaths set up properly.  I have to do manual tool changes so I am assuming I may need two, possibly three, seperate toolpaths codes generated to make my model.

What I am used to doing:

1. Making a roughing tool pass with a 1/4" diamter flat end mill

2. Tool change to do a finishing tool path with a 1/4" diamter ball nose.

3. Tool change back to 1/4: diamter flat end mill to cut a profile tool path along the outer perimeter of the model, leaving tabs so the workpiece does not seperate from the stock material.

Any advice on doing this with fusion is very welcome.

http://a360.co/1HlIRr9

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
GPTech2444
in reply to: Anonymous

I think you're right with what you are saying.
I would first do a facing cut for the flat areas then use the 3d adaptive clear, followed by 3d contour with the ball mill leaving the perimeter with some meat and cutting that out with a 2d contour at the end using the tabs option.
HTH,
Grant.
Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 3 of 8
GPTech2444
in reply to: GPTech2444

Hi, I just redid the cam with something close to how I would do it, I changed the stock and you still need to play around with stepover that suits what you want and I would use a different tool for the face and final contour, but I just used the tool that was with the file.

http://a360.co/1IEvBdO

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 4 of 8
Anonymous

Alright, after messing around alot trying to get it down, I think I am at about where I want to be with the exception of the final profile cut with tabs.

I can not get the tool path to be on the outside of the model, it wants to cut on the inside which would ruin the part.

Only two tools, 1/4" flat end mill (roughing and final profile) and a 1/4" ball nose mill (finishing before final profile).

What am I miising? 

http://a360.co/1dt5q10

Message 5 of 8
GPTech2444

Did you download the one I did?

On your latest one click the red arrow on the 2d contour selection so it cuts the outside of the contour and not the inside.
Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous

Yes I did, but apparently I dont know how to open it once downloaded.  It downloaded as a ZIP file with multiple sub folders.  Not sure the best way to upload to my files to explore in Fusion.   I did look at through the online viewer if you click the link, but cant really see tool path settings menu.

Thank you on the red arrow tip.

Also, on my latest round of toolpaths there are a few stock collisions that I am not sure how to remedy, any other suggestions there?

Thanks you! 

Message 7 of 8
GPTech2444

Ok, Fusion can't work with local files, once you download .f3d file you need to upload it inside of fusion. Once it's uploaded to fusion you can then open it inside of fusion.

Also, my toolpaths are coming from my perspective which is working with steel, so I have a roughing and final pass, you might not need that on wood.
Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous

I have done it before, but for whatever reason it wasnt downloaded as a .f3d archive file, just a .zip file.  I tried again this morning and it downloaded with the proper extension this time.  I will see if I can take a good look at it later today, thanks again.  

Yes I still use roughing passes with wood.  I am not using high end spindles that can take realy deep passes, I could probably do single passes with slower inches per minute in stock up to 3/4", but rather take my time and not take chances with ruining the stock. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report