Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HAAS POST Rotary Unclamp before 5x toolpath

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
instcell
1662 Views, 20 Replies

HAAS POST Rotary Unclamp before 5x toolpath

Hey Guys

I removed the rotary clamp and unclamp from my Haas next gen post. I did this because it takes so much time, and the machine already does that when necessary.  I followed the instructions here:

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-post-processor-forum/removing-m10-m11-m12-m13-in-the-post-process...

BUT: During simultaneous toolpaths like swarf, I need M11 and M13 to remain in order to unlock the rotary. 

Can anyone help? 

Thanks!!

Alex Kern

20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21

@instcell 

You want M11 and M13 only for the simultaneous tool path ? 

if it is 3+2 toolpath how you want to handle this still need M11 and M13 or what?

Boopathi Sivakumar
Senior Technology Consultant

Message 3 of 21

Yes I just want the machine to unclamp the rotary when doing a simultaneous toolpath to achieve smooth motion.

So if i knows it is a simultaneous toolpath I want M11 and M13 at the beginning of that operation. Otherwise the machine knows when to clamp and unclamp. The code i was getting from the post was adding a lot of cycle time by clamping and unclamping for no reason.

Thanks!!

Alex 

Message 4 of 21

@instcell 

search for 

case COMMAND_LOCK_MULTI_AXIS:

change something like 

return;
  case COMMAND_UNLOCK_MULTI_AXIS:
    if (machineConfiguration.isMultiAxisConfiguration() && (machineConfiguration.getNumberOfAxes() >= 4)) {
      writeBlock(operationNeedsSafeWorkPlane ? "/" : "", mFormat.format(11)); // unlock 4th-axis motion
      if (machineConfiguration.getNumberOfAxes() == 5) {
        writeBlock(operationNeedsSafeWorkPlane ? "/" : "", mFormat.format(13)); // unlock 5th-axis motion
      }
    }
    return;

And go to  function setWorkPlane(abc) add // before the onCommand(COMMAND_UNLOCK_MULTIAXIS)

function setWorkPlane(abc) {
  if (!machineConfiguration.isMultiAxisConfiguration()) {
    return; // ignore
  }
  if (!((currentWorkPlaneABC == undefined) ||
        abcFormat.areDifferent(abc.x, currentWorkPlaneABC.x) ||
        abcFormat.areDifferent(abc.y, currentWorkPlaneABC.y) ||
        abcFormat.areDifferent(abc.z, currentWorkPlaneABC.z))) {
    return; // no change
  }
  //onCommand(COMMAND_UNLOCK_MULTI_AXIS);
  if (activeG254) {

Save the file and test it carefully

Boopathi Sivakumar

Message 5 of 21
Mattxer
in reply to: instcell

Its clamping and un-clamping during simultaneous 5ax moves? My Trunnion unlocks once and stays unlocked until the next 3+2 move. Or so it seems.

Matt Smith
Software Engineer - MSmithDev - https://msmithdev.com/
CAD/CAM/CNC - Micro Insert Inc. - https://microinsertinc.com/
Message 6 of 21

Amazing help. 

We appreciate it to much! 

THANKS!!

Message 7 of 21

Hi again,

I was wondering if you could tell me how to add the rotary axis clamp after the 5-axis toolpath is over? 

I just realized it remains unclamped and can cause servo load issues.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Kern

Message 8 of 21
mattdlr89

Hi @instcell 

Interesting post. I too took the clamp/unclamp moves out of the post for our Haas trunnion. I haven’t done any simultaneous machining on it yet but I plan to. I was wondering how the machine would handle it now I’ve removed the M codes.  

from the sound of this post it seems that it is required to unclamp at the beginning of any simultaneous machining moves but then not reclamation until the end of that operation? Do you know if it will cause problems if I were to create a simultaneous tool path without M10,11,12,13?

Message 9 of 21
Mattxer
in reply to: mattdlr89

Correct me if i'm wrong but don't the A/C axis brakes provide stability/rigidness while doing 3+2 machining? During simultaneous 5 axis the brakes are disengaged anyway because of constant motion. Also you should make sure your brakes are released from the start of a program. My machine automatically engages the brakes after a jog move. So if your program doesn't have those M codes it might not release.

Matt Smith
Message 10 of 21
mattdlr89
in reply to: Mattxer

@Mattxer 

yes it will be more rigid to clamp and my control does this automatically in 3+2. I was more wondering (and perhaps this never happens) if there is a line in the 5 axis tool path that doesn’t rotate will it try to clamp and then unclamp even if this is a tiny move. I was thinking that could cause problems?

I don’t have any experience with 5 simultaneous so I’m not too sure what the best practice is. I’m basically asking do I need to unclamp at the beginning of any 5 axis tool path because it could try to clamp/unclamp multiple times if there are moves without A/B/C or do I just let the control figure it all out. 

Message 11 of 21

@instcell 

That's what I asked when you in-tally wanted only unlock codes.. no problem on this

if (machineConfiguration.isMultiAxisConfiguration() && (machineConfiguration.getNumberOfAxes() >= 4)) {
      writeBlock(operationNeedsSafeWorkPlane ? "/" : "", mFormat.format(10)); // lock 4th-axis motion
      if (machineConfiguration.getNumberOfAxes() == 5) {
        writeBlock(operationNeedsSafeWorkPlane ? "/" : "", mFormat.format(12)); // lock 5th-axis motion
      }
    }
    return;

Change the case COMMAND_LOCK_MULTI_AXIS to something like above will work

Boopathi Sivakumar

Message 12 of 21

@mattdlr89 

No it won't work in that way, If the toolpath is 5 axis then unlock command will come only at the top,

it will not put the lock codes/ unlock codes each line.

Hope this helps

Boopathi Sivakumar

Message 13 of 21

Hi,

Thanks a lot for the reply.

This almost works, except it clamps at the beginning of each sequence instead of just clamping at the end of the multi axis sequence. This slows the machine down.

Is there a way to change it to just post M10 and M12 after a multi axis to make it clamp again by default? The machine will stay clamped by itself, but if you command the clamping it will take longer to run.

Thanks!

Alex  

ie 

(Side Finish)
M1
N45 T4 M6
M88
M8
S4974 M3
G54
G53 G0 Z0.
G255
G0 B90. C-90.
M10
M12
G254
G187 P2

Message 14 of 21

Ahh.. For that you might need to block this line

skipBlock = _skipBlock;
  //onCommand(COMMAND_LOCK_MULTI_AXIS);    << Add // before this line

if (properties.useDWO &&

check and let me know

Boopathi Sivakumar

Message 15 of 21
Mattxer
in reply to: mattdlr89

I've done quite a bit of 5-axis work on our TR210, and like @boopathi.sivakumar said if you use a 5-axis toolpath it will remain un-clamped during the whole 5ax operation. After that op is complete and It indexes or something it will then re-engage the clamp like normal 3+2. As for @instcell That seems really odd that its constantly clamping and releasing during 5ax moves. I have not had that happen.

Matt Smith
Message 16 of 21
instcell

Matt,

The original issue was the stock post would unclamp and clamp every sequence, every tool change, every index. It was extremely slow.

So we removed the clamping all together.

Then it would remain clamped during 5x paths which wasnt good.

After that we added unclamp before 5x paths which was the ticket.

However, not sure if it was a software update or what, but now it is not reclamping unless commanded to. 

So now i will change the post to only clamp at the end of a 5x path.

Side note: how smooth does your TR210 run? I can't get fusion to post smooth code for our TR200Y - it is super jerky and leaves horrible lines everywhere, even on a simple chamfering swarf pass. I've tried to get help for this but no such luck.

Thanks,

Alex 

Message 17 of 21
Mattxer

The original issue was the stock post would unclamp and clamp every sequence, every tool change, every index. It was extremely slow.

That seems odd, I don't believe that happens with my post. we have a VF4SS so it might just not be noticeable because its quite fast.

As for 5ax runs, I do experience the same thing with some lines here and there. Fusions 5ax toolpaths need some TLC. As for jerky-ness If your feedrate is too high and the trunnion cant keep up it will cause stuttering i've come across this since the VF4SS is much faster then the TR210. Have gotten some decent resaults with swarf though, you kinda need to play around with "Max Fan distance", "Max segment Length", and "Max tool axis sweep" lowering the last two will make the NC file bigger but the Haas won't have any issues with it. I assume you have NGC with DWO,TCPC?

Matt Smith
Message 18 of 21

Thank you!!

While we are on the subject of changing posts...

On tool break detection, the the 4th and 5th axis go to zero. How can I get rid of that and make it stay in the same spot? Sometimes with a really long tool, the part will hit the tool.

Thanks again,

ALex 

Message 19 of 21
instcell

Yeah they are new machines with all the options.

Even on the UMC 500 with code posted from fusion you can see the delay when it clamps and unclamps. Watch area 419s videos you'll see what i mean. While it isnt slow, it is still a delay that is unecessary.

I just got all the clamping and unclamping bugs worked out on this post thanks to this awesome forum!

Ill have to revisit the swarf settings. I played with it. I even just chamfered a cylinder which is as easy as it gets. On our B/C trunnion, it should just post B45 and spin the C with nothing else going on. That is not the case, the B wiggles, and its just horrible code with a horrible finish. If you have any insight I'd appreciate it.

Thanks again everyone!

Alex

Message 20 of 21
Mattxer

it should just post B45 and spin the C with nothing else going on. That is not the case, the B wiggles, and its just horrible code with a horrible finish.

Yeah, I have experienced the same thing, should just be a simple C rotation at X angle but no A (in my case) wiggles up and down its quite ridiculous.

As for the delays I can totally understand that, I assume you guys are pretty production heavy. In our case were a tool making company for aerospace and stuff so we do very small runs so those delays don't mean much to us.

If you have any insight I'd appreciate it.

I really wish I could, If you do find something id like to know haha. I think fusion is just not up to par with simultaneous. Or we could just be doing something wrong haha. I just don't understand the small jerky movements in the code, makes no sense to me.

Matt Smith

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report