Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Guitar Neck - Top/Back CAM Alignment

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
TOwens777
586 Views, 5 Replies

Guitar Neck - Top/Back CAM Alignment

I'm getting reading to machine a neck for a guitar and am looking for some suggestions on aligning strategies when I go to flip it to machine the reverse. I am planning on cutting the top and the truss rod slot first and then flipping it over for the contour. I've toyed with the idea of pins with double stick or maybe a jig. Anyone found a easy solution to this?

TopTopBackBack

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
jodom4
in reply to: TOwens777

Hey TOwens777,

I would definitely recommend using a jig. If you use tabs (as many as you're willing to cut off and shave down later) as well as stock left on all sides, you'll have a rectangular piece that will be easy to register and flip with a jig that's fixed to the bed.

This instructable uses the same method but uses holes for dowels / screws to register the position. This will make for more vibration than using a jig with stock left on all sides, but the process is basically the same.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Pier-9-Resource-Part-I-3D-CAM-in-Fusion-360-for-th/

Jonathan Odom
Community Manager + Content Creator
Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 6
gmdimarzio88

I used pins to locate mine on fixture plates. I used the saame pins the fretboard would locate on, giving me a square fretboard to the centerline of the neck.

Message 4 of 6
TOwens777
in reply to: jodom4

Thank you for the replies. Good suggestions!

The spoon tutorial was very helpful.  I like the tabs idea but I think setting that up might be a challenge for me. If my current option proves too difficult I think I might try that route. I think I can figure it out.

Here's what I am looking at now. What do you guys think about this? How difficult is it to get the toolpath to ignore the jig?

Neck Jig.png

Thanks!!!

Tim

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

add a jig to your model list in setup menu

choose 3d strategys and they will avoid your jigs like your part

also some strategys have parametre avoid\touch surfaces in gemetry tab

Message 6 of 6
TOwens777
in reply to: Anonymous

Thanks for the suggestions. Very helpful. Here is what I came up with. I glued end blocks to my stock for alignment pins. I have a scrap piece of stock to test first.

Neck Jig.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report