Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Flat Knurl - invalid tool type for milling

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
538 Views, 6 Replies

Flat Knurl - invalid tool type for milling

Hi All, I'm trying to mill a knurled appearance into a flat piece of brass using a 90* drill mill. I'm using two parallel toolpaths set 60* apart from each other, but any pointed tool (or form tool) I select gives me the message "Invalid tool type for milling." I've tricked Fusion before by picking a similar-sized ball end mill when I post and putting the 90* cutter in the spindle instead, but I'd rather have a more accurate simulation of my results. Any way around this?

Thanks in advance!

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
johnswetz1982
in reply to: Anonymous

I think a chamfer mill should work for what your after.

Message 3 of 7
Marco.Takx

Hi @Anonymous,

I know it is sometimes stuped that a specific tool can’t be used for specific operations. 

But like @johnswetz1982 said try other tools with the specific geometry and see if they are allowed. 

If my post answers your question Please use  Mark Solutions!.Accept as Solution & Give Kudos!Kudos This helps everyone find answers more quickly!

Met vriendelijke groet | Kind regards | Mit freundlichem Gruß

Marco Takx
CAM Programmer & CAM Consultant

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: Marco.Takx

@Marco.Takx @johnswetz1982 thanks for the suggestions, but I've already tried everything - chamfer, spot drill, center drill, countersink, taper, form mill, and even drill. Pretty sure there aren't any other options. I get the "Invalid tool type" pop-up every time.

Message 5 of 7
seth.madore

Can you export and share your Fusion file so we can have the best picture of what you are doing, what you've tried, and what you've run into?

File > Export > Save to local folder. Return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

I figured it out - mostly. Chamfer IS the correct tool to use, but it won't accept a tip diameter of 0. I set it to .001" and the toolpath was created with the simulation I was looking for, but also with a warning that stepover exceeds the cutter diameter, and tiny horizontal lead-ins/outs, even if I set them to 1in. File attached.

Message 7 of 7
johnswetz1982

For what your doing the warning can be ignored.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report