Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External NPT Threads

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
qdraftz
251 Views, 5 Replies

External NPT Threads

I am trying to put external NPT threads on a 12" cylinder, however I read that fusion does not offer NPT thread size and that most people create custom threads. Any help would be greatly appreciated! 

https://a360.co/4cHyu3d  cylinder design

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
DarthBane55
in reply to: qdraftz

I threadmill NPT regularly, not sure where you saw it can't do it.

Just model a cone with the correct size for the minor diameter, including the taper, and pick it in your threadmill operation.  Or model the major diameter and then add the diameter pitch compensation in the passes tab.

Message 3 of 6
qdraftz

@DarthBane55 that did the trick! When I modeled the taper it wouldn't let me select the face that was tapered and apply threads to it. But when I made the face flat it allowed me to. 

Thanks! 

Message 4 of 6
DarthBane55

hmmmm, you need to model the taper, otherwise your threadmill will go up straight.  The threadmill path needs to follow the NPT taper angle.

Message 5 of 6
qdraftz
in reply to: DarthBane55

We haven't started machining yet, but in the simulation it looks like it follows the taper angle set in the passes tab even though the wall is straight on my model. 

Message 6 of 6
DarthBane55

Do you have options I don't maybe?  See what I have below, there is no taper angle field!

DarthBane55_0-1720015330802.png

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report