Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error "cannot Plunge Outside of Stock"? VERY slow processing the operation?

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
jgaertner
401 Views, 3 Replies

Error "cannot Plunge Outside of Stock"? VERY slow processing the operation?

Hello,

I am working on a simple fork end for a tube. For some reason when I ask Fusion to slot the area between the two forks using 2D pocket the processing takes several minutes and I get an error "cannot plunge outside of stock"? I expect it

will machine OK, but I am wondering what I am doing wrong? File attached.

Shaft-support-end-fork v18.jpg 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
seth.madore
in reply to: jgaertner

The calculation time is linked to the amount of "Stay-Down" that you have. Longer it's set for, the longer the calculation takes. It's essentially not giving you anything of a benefit, as you have it set for WAY more than you need (5" is a bit extreme). Reducing that value to the length of the part (.6622) does allow it to calculate in 72 seconds, which IS better than your 194.6 seconds.

The error....is an inaccurate one. Disregard it, imo.

However, setting it to "Zig Zag" does not actually give you a ramp toolpath. You can set your Ramp type to Plunge and it will give you the same toolpath with no warnings AND generated in 748ms:

2019-09-30_12h45_41.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 4
jgaertner
in reply to: seth.madore

Thank you very much! I have gotten errors before when my stay down was too short. Now I know! Will post pictures of the part later today. Last Op is on the machine now. Using your suggestions ready to run.

Jgaertner 

Message 4 of 4
jgaertner
in reply to: jgaertner

Picture of first of six steel forks. Thanks for your help!

Forks (1).JPG

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report