Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENGRAVING ON A ROUND SURFACE

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
steveelsass
220 Views, 4 Replies

ENGRAVING ON A ROUND SURFACE

Ok guys, I have a part that needs tic marks and numbers engraved around the outside surface. I've tried everything I've found in the forums to make this work, but nothing seems to do the trick. 

I am trying to program for Mill/Turn. We want to run it in a lathe with live tooling, as there are other lathe operations to perform as well, so I was hoping to do it all in one setup. I've got the solid model and the sketch of what I need to engrave on it. I've tried wrapping the tool path, etc. to no avail. 

I've attached the file I'm working with, which should help explain what I'm trying to do. Any help in a timely manner would be greatly appreciated. My customer needs these by next Friday :0

Thanks for any help in advance!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
steveelsass
in reply to: steveelsass

Just realized the sketch wasn't in the position I wanted it, so here's the updated version (attached). Machining opps shouldn't change though..

Message 3 of 5
Cave_Master

I dont have time to try this right now, but what I would do is - 

1. Create round sheet metal component same diameter as the surface you want to engrave.
  2. Flatten sheet metal component and create a sketch.  Either project your sketch onto this sketch or recreate your sketch here.
  3. Extrude sketch onto the sheet metal component
  4. Refold the sheet metal component around the part.
  5. In machining ops use the sheet metal component for the engraving

Message 4 of 5
steveelsass

This would be ok, except I'm trying to use the sketch lines for programming the tool path instead of an extruded surface. I wanted to do it this way because I only want to machine 1 line to keep them as thin as possible. If I do it the way you suggest, wouldn't it want to machine both sides of the slot, essentially turning the tic mark into a fat line? I will try it out anyway, as I am all out of other options, but the fat lines is what I was trying to avoid.  

Message 5 of 5
Cave_Master

Edit: Reread your post.   I'm not sure if a sketch will refold with the sheet metal if that would work then you could use a sketch.  If you can select a sketch contour for machining why cant you select a contour off an extrusion for machining?  Ya that could be an issue... You could use projected geometry and create a sketch for each tic.. Or you could create a 3D sketch... Or maybe there is a way you could machine it with selecting the extrusion but still only making a tic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report