Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drilling operation creates offset

14 REPLIES 14
Message 1 of 15
Anonymous
772 Views, 14 Replies

Drilling operation creates offset

I am very new to CNC stuff and tried to find an issue like this in the forum but couldn't find this one. Hopefully I'm not duplicating?

I'm doing a very simple drilling operation. Looking at the simulation on 360, everything looks good. When I go to drill the holes, one hole is in the correct position and one hole is in the wrong position. In this instance I am only drilling 2 holes. Looking at ncStudio simulation I can see the hole is also being drilled in the wrong location.

If I do an operation that drills more than one hole, all holes are ok but inevitably there is one hole that is drilled in the wrong location.

I am using a 3 axis milling machine with ncStudio and am post processing as a gplus (Generic GPlus file).

The milling operations look ok its just the drill operation I am having problems with at the moment. I dont think its a positioning error as I can run multiple operations using different files and all operations line up nicely. The only operation I am having problems with is the drilling.

Any help appreciated.

14 REPLIES 14
Message 2 of 15
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Can export the file as an f3d and attach to this thread and the nc file you might need to change the extension for the nc file to txt.

Thanks Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 15
Laurens-3DTechDraw

Hello,

It's hard to make a judgement on what is happening.

So to help you best:

Could you add the link to your part on A360? Or attach it here?

And the NC-file.

And what hole goes wrong and what the location is on the machine?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

AutoDesk CAM user & Post editor.
René for Legend.

Message 4 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: Laurens-3DTechDraw

Thanks for your help, the link is http://a360.co/1XNSD9V

One of the holes in this example is correct on the x axis but incorrect on the y axis. It is the hole closest to the viewer when in home view. I will try and post the nc file shortly.
Message 5 of 15
Anonymous

nc file attached. I will be very interested to see what I am doing wrong here. I have had this problem before and not been able to figure it out.

Message 6 of 15
HughesTooling

Checking your code against the file shows the code is correct

Capture.PNG

Capture04.PNG

One thing I noticed is line N32 doesn't have a Y value, this shouldn't matter as long as your machine is OK with modal moves. Which hole is drilled out of place?

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
in reply to: HughesTooling

I just did another test run and based on the image you posted, it is the hole on the left . Running the simulation in Fusion seems to be ok, it sounds more like ncStudio is mis interpreting something.

Message 8 of 15
HughesTooling

Try editing line N32 to read N32 G0 X3.199 Y18.349 so you have both coordinates.

Mark

Edit don't add the G0, I used copy paste and forgot to remove it. It'll probably work either way but we don't want to add more confusion.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 9 of 15
Anonymous

I was looking at the ncStudio user manual and it looks like it should support modal moves. Then again my CNC is a very cheap Chinese system!

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B26SgTyDJ3GNOWdrNzMzMVRGQlE/preview?pli=1

Is there a way in Fusion360 to disable modal moves to see what happens?

Message 10 of 15
Laurens-3DTechDraw

That would be a small Post processor edit.

Which post processor are you using?

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 11 of 15
Anonymous

I'm using gplus.cps -Generic GPlus

Message 12 of 15
Laurens-3DTechDraw

Please find the editted version attached.

It will output X and Y for every drill point.

To qoute @HughesTooling:

"If you have a custom post you should save to either the Personal posts folder or enable cloud libraries and store on the cloud. See this post for info on cloud libraries and A360."

Laurens Wijnschenk
3DTechDraw

René for Legend.

Message 13 of 15
Anonymous

That is absolutely brilliant. Thanks. This problem has plagued me for a while so I am looking forward to trying this out.

Message 14 of 15
HughesTooling

I seem to remember reading somewhere for one of my controls the first point for a drill op needed X and Y cords but after the first they could be modal.

Mark

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling

EESignature

Message 15 of 15
Anonymous

Thanks Mark, I will look into that.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report