Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Drill operation heights problem

19 REPLIES 19
Message 1 of 20
cmelojr
2467 Views, 19 Replies

Drill operation heights problem

I think it's only been an issue since I updated. Now when I make a drill operation the heights are way off. If the top and bottom are "hole top" and "hole bottom" it's always showing that the operation starts excessively high up and then also much too deep. On a blind hole even the operation will show that it goes well below the part. I can use a manual selection and select the top and the bottom of the hole and the toolpaths will be correct but it's a slight annoyance.

19 REPLIES 19
Message 2 of 20
LibertyMachine
in reply to: cmelojr

Do you have a part that you could share with us to show as an example? I'm wondering if there was a method of setting up a job or defining a feature that isn't allowed anymore, or a loophole that was closed perhaps. It's happened before; A method of doing something shouldn't work, but does. People learn that method. One day it gets fixed so it no longer works and their are more than a few people who have issues.

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 20
cmelojr
in reply to: LibertyMachine

I'd rather not share any parts, but I will say that it only affects drill operations. Whether they're copied from other design files or started new. Nothing in the setup file seems to change anything(body selection, origin, stock, etc). The operation goes so far beyond the hole that it's not even within inches of the stock or part.
Message 4 of 20
Steinwerks

You could make a quick dummy part with some holes in it and export. Might be a setting you're missing or even something that only shows up in the "Edit and Compare" screen.
Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 5 of 20
Anonymous
in reply to: Steinwerks

I'm seeing the problem also.  An example is attached.

Message 6 of 20
Steinwerks
in reply to: Anonymous

I'd definitely qualify this as a bug.

Looks like the drilling operation is related to the Origin planes; maybe the drilling operation is ending at the equal depth of the drilled holes from the origin plane? Hard to tell indeed:

Origin Drilling Bug.JPG

Had to create an angled plane and a line at the origin because the origin planes seem to disappear when I try and align them with the Top or Bottom views (where they would be in line with the part and toolpath).

@jeff.walters @al.whatmough @dave.anderson

Neal Stein

New to Fusion 360 CAM? Click here for an introduction to 2D Milling, here for 2D Turning.

Find me on:
Instagram and YouTube
Message 7 of 20
andriy.badin
in reply to: Steinwerks

@cmelojr@Anonymous@Steinwerks@LibertyMachineI logged this issue as ticket #CAM-4619. I will take a look at it ASAP. I will keep you updated about progress. Thanks for letting us know about it.

Andriy.

Message 8 of 20
cmelojr
in reply to: andriy.badin

Thanks! For now I just have to manually select the start and end points.
Message 9 of 20
andriy.badin

Alternatively you could try to align your model with origin. I cannot speak with 100% confidence without seeing your model, but model shifted relatively to the origin is causing problem in the example provided by @Anonymous Hopefully this is feasible workaround for your needs while we are working on the better solution

Origin.PNG

Message 10 of 20
cmelojr

I think that would be more of a pain. I also notice that it seems to only be a problem for drills? If I spot drill with a chamfer mill it doesn't seem to have the same issue.
Message 11 of 20
andriy.badin

@cmelojr@Steinwerks@Anonymous@LibertyMachine

I would like to let you know that bug resulting in wrong drill heights was fixed and the fix will be released soon.

Thank you for your patience.

Andriy.

Message 12 of 20
cmelojr

Awesome, it will be a huge help to everyone that deals with a lot of imported models and assemblies like me!

Message 13 of 20
Kenatic

This a major set back for me.  Trying to drill holes is now a crap shoot to get right. Sometimes if I make the bottom of the hole relative to the top or stock bottom it works.  But if it's a blind hole then it doesn't seem to matter what I specify.  I also see in the tool list that the overall height of drills will jump to 50" inches after I select them.

Please post a workaround.  Also, there have been at least two updates since this bug was logged and it's not been fixed in the latest I received today.

I cannot complete a critical project because of it.

Thanks

Scott

Screen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.54.53 AM.pngScreen Shot 2016-08-25 at 1.54.17 AM.png

Message 14 of 20
cmelojr
in reply to: Kenatic

You can always use selection for heights. So for a blind hole you could select the bottom and top circles that make the hole you are trying to drill. I find that using the "hole top" or "hole Bottom" throws the operation completely out of whack. Remember you can still use "drill tip though bottom" to go the extra distance to make it to the very bottom of a blind hole.

It's a definite pain in the **** but that's how i've been making it work.

Message 15 of 20
andriy.badin

@cmelojr @Kenatic @Steinwerks@LibertyMachine@Anonymous I would like to let you know that fix for drill heights was included in the latest update. Things should work as expected in ver 2.0.2377. Please let me know if it isn't so. Thank you for your patience.

Message 16 of 20

It appears to be working proper on my models. Thank you!

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 17 of 20

In the drill operation the default top heigh is (now) set to the hole top. In other operations, it is more logically set to stock top. Of course you can manually make the right choice but this is quite dangerous.

More over, the top and bottom heights do not show up on screen and this lets you think they are up with the 2 others...

Found this problem out after hammering into my piece...

Message 18 of 20
Kenatic
in reply to: franck.gressier

Did they break it.. again...  😉  I'm not doing a lot of CAM these days, but I did happen to do a drilling operation with the workpiece height quite a bit off from the hole height.  this would not have been good if I took an update...

Message 19 of 20

As far as I recall, it's always been "Hole Top" and "Hole Bottom".

If you prefer you can change the default settings in that field. Right click on the toolpath and select "compare and edit", type in "Top Height" into the dialog box, set to the setting you prefer and right click > set as default

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 20 of 20

May be then it has not always been the right thing.

When you drill a hole it may be safer to specify from stock top on a regular basis, no ?

What about the fact that the  top and bottom planes do not show up on screen (cf the .png attached.)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report