Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DIY Home Made 5-Axis CNC To Fusion 360

27 REPLIES 27
SOLVED
Message 1 of 28
Anonymous
5221 Views, 27 Replies

DIY Home Made 5-Axis CNC To Fusion 360

Hey, there all I googled how to get custom CNC machines into Fusion 360 and haven't found a lot of useful information on how to get my DIY CNC into fusion 360 and test it to see if it's working. 

IMG_20201112_004554077.jpg

I got everything moving in Mach3Mill I just don't know how to get the other two axes A and B working with my design in Fusion 360.

cnc6.PNG

I'm sure getting my reference model into Fusion should be easy I don't know how to get the cutting action to work with my machine. I'm not worried about getting my reference model into fusion, I need to know how to get movement cutting actions like rotations of axis A and B included in relation to how my machine moves.

Labels (6)
27 REPLIES 27
Message 2 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I hope I didn't ask for the imposable or do I need to ask again in another post?
Also, I learned you can't remove or delete comments or posts (not that I want to delete this post I really need help with this).

Message 3 of 28
DarthBane55

It's not 100% clear to me, but really what you want is program a toolpath that will rotate the rotary axis of your very cool home made machine!

The machine will not move inside Fusion.  So when you do a toolpath that is at an angle, you need to go in the operation and set the tool orientation to the angle you want to machine.  You can set that in the "geometry" tab, there is a check box for "tool orientation".  Be mindful of the X-Y orientation, it can be confusing at 1st, but, if I look at your machine, you would pick the Z axis perpendicular to the face you want to machine, and maybe the Y axis pick the back of your machine table.  That should orient the axis correctly.

I hope this is sort of what you were after...  if so great, and post back the results, I find your machine very interesting!

Message 4 of 28
engineguy

@Anonymous 

Not exactly sure what you mean by "Get the CNC Machine into Fusion", as you have Mach3 I am assuming that you are OK with setting Part and Tool offsets already.

All you need is a Post Processor for Mach3 that will post the correct code for 5 axis movement, in your images I see it is a pretty standard Trunnion setup, in which the attached Post Processor will do the job for you.

The standard for the Trunnion setup is usually A and C axis so setup your Mach3 that way as that is what the PP is configured for.

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 5 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: DarthBane55

Yes, I think thats what I want to do. now, how do I do that.

Message 6 of 28
DarthBane55

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, I think thats what I want to do. now, how do I do that.

hmmmm, I thought I explained how to do it... how else could I help you?  You check the box for tool orientation, pick the axis, and that's it.  I might be overlooking something in the steps tho, but did you try that?  What steps would you be missing to do your toolpath at the correct angle?  If you struggle with something specific, could you upload a snapshot of the situation?

Message 7 of 28
Anonymous

I have a smooth brain

Trulli

cnc8.PNG

Message 8 of 28
johnswetz1982

You dont want multi axis for that. 2D contour with tool orientation turned on. Not sure how big the part is and your tooling so you may not even be able to cut it if it is too big.

Message 9 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: johnswetz1982

small 25mm cube of styrofoam.

Message 10 of 28
DarthBane55

Just so we get an idea of exactly how much we need to explain, is this your 1st project in Fusion, or are you a seasoned user for 3-axis use?

Message 11 of 28
Anonymous

I'm seasoned with a large 3-axis shopbot I can make that thing do anything within its power and good at Solidworks, Maya, C4d, and lots of experience 3d printing. I can get this CNC machine i created to do anything i want 3-axis related. but I'm stuck on the 4th and 5th axis. Sorry about being new to Fusion Manufacture and its toolsets.

Message 12 of 28
DarthBane55

Hahaha, don't be sorry!!  We all been new in Fusion one day.  However, for me, this is gonna turn into a "Fusion manufacturing 101" class and it is too involved for the little time I have to check this forum.  So I will step out.

However I can recommend you go thru the usual learning process of a new software by going thru some tutorials in the help, and some really great YouTube channels explaining how to get started with Fusion.  I think this would be a really good start to get you going thru the steps of making programs in Fusion.  Sorry I can't be of more help.  Maybe someone else can jump in here.

Have fun with Fusion, you'll love it once you are used to it!

PS: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd6-BQUCbVA&ab_channel=LarsChristensen

this guy makes awesome tutorial videos, have a look.

Message 13 of 28
engineguy

@Anonymous 

Well, looking at your example as has already been posted that is a simple 3 axis 3D operation, rough some material out and finish with say a Parallel just as an example.

If you want to do something on the sides of the block then model whatever it is say a pocket, drilled holes etc and use the "Tool Orientation" facility to get the toolpaths, then it is the usual generate the code and good to go 🙂 🙂

Trunnion Example.jpg

It doesn`t match the size of your trunnion but you should get the idea, just one I had in stock, it is basically doing 4th axis indexing, just an example of simple stuff 🙂

Try out the attached file, run the simulation and then find a Post Processor to suit your CNC Machine Control with 5 axis ability.

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 14 of 28
Anonymous
in reply to: engineguy

I got an error when I tried to use your Mach3Mill.cps and Trunnio-Test wonder what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks for all your help this far. 😄

Information: Configuration: Mach3Mill
Information: Vendor: Artsoft
Information: Posting intermediate data to 'FileLocation'
Error: Failed to post process. See below for details.
Code page changed to 
Start time: Thursday, 
Code page changed to 
Post processor engine: Vertion
Configuration path: Path
Include paths: Path
Configuration modification date: Thursday, November 12, 2020 9:35:21 PM
Output path: FileLocation
Checksum of intermediate NC data: 
Checksum of configuration: 
Vendor url: http://web.com
Legal: Copyright (C) 2012-2020 by Autodesk, Inc.
Generated by: Fusion 360 CAM 2.0.9313

###############################################################################
Error: Retract option 'Clearance Height' is not supported for multi-axis machining.
Error at line: 1816
Error in operation: 'Adaptive1'
Failed while processing onSection() for record 442.

Error: Failed to invoke function 'onSection'.
Error: Failed to invoke 'onSection' in the post configuration.

Error: Retract option 'Clearance Height' is not supported for multi-axis machining.
Error at line: 1816
Failed while processing onSection() for record 442.

Error: Failed to invoke function 'onClose'.
Error: Failed to invoke 'onClose' in the post configuration.
Error: Failed to execute configuration.
Stop time: Thursday, November 12, 2020 9:35:49 PM
Post processing failed.

Message 15 of 28
Anonymous

Here is what's happening on my end. I recommend watching this on youtube, it randomly stops playing on here for me.

Message 16 of 28
engineguy

@Anonymous 

Oops, Doh, sent you the wrong PP, try the attached file and PP 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 17 of 28
Anonymous

I feel like we are getting closer.
Hope there an easy fix to get around these errors.

cnc15.PNG

Message 18 of 28
engineguy

@Anonymous 

Well, all I can say it is working fine here, did you try out the Trunnion Test file using the modified Post Processor I uploaded on my last post, they work here, attached is the G Code as generated here using the Trunnion Test f3d file and the 5 Axis Post Processor, not anything else I can do from here if your machine won`t run the attached code file 😞 😞

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 19 of 28
Anonymous

Does it have something to do with the machine type i created this but I don't know if i configured it correctly or how to set it up?

cnc25.PNG

Here is My Mach3Mill_5-Axis.machine script

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no" ?>
<machine xmlns="http://www.hsmworks.com/xml/2009/machine">

<vendor>Autodesk</vendor>

<model>v1</model>

<description>Mach3Mill 5-Axis</description>

<control></control>

<fusion>
    <model></model>
  </fusion>

<machining additive="no" jet="no" milling="yes" turning="yes"/>

<dimensions depth="0mm" height="0mm" weight="0kg" width="0mm"/>

<capacities depth="0mm" height="0mm" weight="0kg" width="0mm"/>

<png128></png128>

<mtk></mtk>

<custom>
    <name></name>
    <softwareVersion></softwareVersion>
    <network ip="" port="" protocol=""/>
    <serial></serial>
  </custom>

<coolant options="FLOOD"/>

<multiAxis adjust="yes" angle="10deg" cone="3deg" feedRateType="inverse" linearizationTolerance="0.040000000000000001mm" method="off" reconfigure="yes" tolerance="0.040000000000000001mm"/>

<tooling maximumToolDiameter="0mm" maximumToolLength="0mm" maximumToolWeight="0kg" numberOfTools="100" toolChanger="yes" toolPreload="yes"/>

<machiningTime ratio="1" toolChangeTime="15s"/>

<capabilities maximumBlockProcessingSpeed="0" maximumFeedrate="0mm/min" workOffsets="100"/>

<simulation retractOnIndexing="yes" shortestAngularRotation="yes" wcs="0mm 0mm 0mm">
    <machineAssembly></machineAssembly>
  </simulation>

<post>
    <postProcessor></postProcessor>
    <postProperties>
      <Parameters/>
    </postProperties>
    <setupSheet></setupSheet>
    <setupSheetProperties/>
  </post>

<axis actuator="linear" coordinate="X" homePosition="0mm" id="X" link="table" maximumFeed="0mm/min" name="" offset="0mm 0mm 0mm" range="0mm 0mm" rapidFeed="0mm/min" resolution="0mm"/>

<axis actuator="linear" coordinate="Y" homePosition="0mm" id="Y" link="table" maximumFeed="0mm/min" name="" offset="0mm 0mm 0mm" range="0mm 0mm" rapidFeed="0mm/min" resolution="0mm"/>

<axis actuator="linear" coordinate="Z" homePosition="0mm" id="Z" link="table" maximumFeed="0mm/min" name="" offset="0mm 0mm 0mm" range="0mm 0mm" rapidFeed="0mm/min" resolution="0mm"/>

<axis actuator="rotational" axis="1 0 0" coordinate="X" cyclic="no" homePosition="0deg" id="U" link="head" maximumFeed="21600deg/min" name="" offset="0mm 0mm 0mm" preference="dont care" range="0deg 360deg" rapidFeed="0deg/min" resolution="0deg" tcp="yes"/>

<axis actuator="rotational" axis="0 0 1" coordinate="Y" cyclic="no" homePosition="0deg" id="V" link="head" maximumFeed="21600deg/min" name="" offset="0mm 0mm 0mm" preference="dont care" range="0deg 360deg" rapidFeed="0deg/min" resolution="0deg" tcp="yes"/>

<spindle axis="0 0 1" maximumSpeed="0rpm" minimumSpeed="0rpm">
    <description></description>
  </spindle>

</machine>

Message 20 of 28
engineguy

@Anonymous 

You do seem to be making life hard for yourself, you don`t need a Machine Configuration for it to work, I don`t have one in the Trunnion Test file which you should have seen if you checked the Setup in Manufacture, it works fine generating the code. Setup image below.

No Machine selected.jpg

Have you tried actually loading the G code I sent you into your machine controller ?? Does it load and run without error ??

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report