Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Custom Lathe tools

42 REPLIES 42
SOLVED
Message 1 of 43
Anonymous
5384 Views, 42 Replies

Custom Lathe tools

Hi Guys, 

i need help i tried figuring it out but it doesn't seem to exist. i am looking for a way to create a custom top notch tool with a very specific angles. see attached photo. i tried every way possible and i cant produce it. im trying to machine a pulley with 10 grooves and im stuck. 

any help would be appreciated.  

Tags (1)
42 REPLIES 42
Message 2 of 43
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi @Anonymous

Just so I understand, do you want to use this tool in a single groove operation where you simply plunge in and out of the stock? It might be easier if you attach your sample file here.

Thanks,

Akash Kamoolkar 

Akash Kamoolkar
Software Development Manager
Message 3 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: akash.kamoolkar

Hi Akash,

Im attaching the model. im making a 10 groove pulley and i need to create a tool path to machine it with this insert.

Let me know your thoughts.

Message 4 of 43
akash.kamoolkar

@Anonymous

Looks like you want to create a custom turning form tool and then use it to plunge in and out to make each groove in the pulley. Although we do have a single groove operation for doing that, we currently don't support form tools but they are on our list of future enhancements.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Message 5 of 43
zwelsh91

As a matter of opinion. Form tools should be high on the list of implementations.  One of the largest limitations of Fusion as it stands is lack of support for form tools both on the Milling and Turning sides alike. The other is being railroaded into tool selection by the operation you select. I believe that tool choice should be defined by the user not the software(weather or not the tool is correct for the operation).

Zak Welsh
Zakary Welsh Machine LLC
Message 6 of 43
akash.kamoolkar
in reply to: zwelsh91

@zwelsh91

Form tools is, for sure, high on our list of features to implement in turning. Unfortunately at this point I cannot provide you with a date when we will be adding it to the software.

Regards,

Akash Kamoolkar

Akash Kamoolkar
Message 7 of 43
ctscsmith

Any news on this yet? I'm trying to get my company to buy fusion, but this is pretty much a dealbreaker.

Message 8 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: ctscsmith

so far they still haven't implemented form inserts into fusion 360. im currently working on a project that could really benefit from form inserts as well but no dice.

Message 9 of 43
changedsoul

I agree. Its a huge let down not being able to use custom tools. Mastercam implemented it pretty well where you could draw your custom geometry and tell it where the boundaries are. Perhaps a similar way could be implemented.

When dealing with small stuff, many times custom tools are required. Many times you cannot buy off the shelf tools for your job and need to modify it. Having the ability to draw your tool and create a tool path would be infinity helpful.

Message 10 of 43
gregsal

The simple fact that operations are limited by tool style choice is ludicrous. Why, when choosing a grooving style tool would the software not allow one to do a turn profile???  so many manufacturers are making multi - directional square nose tools which allow complex profiling with a single tool, and yet Fusion arbitrarily disallows this combination. I can understand a warning popup to prevent mistakes, but there is no reasonable workaround to this limitation. I'm being forced to take models from Fusion and do the tool paths and post in other CAM software.

Message 11 of 43

I am sure custom tools could be useful for milling operations too, but they seem, for me anyways, more useful in turning. 
This was the same in Mastercam from my experience, the milling section got all of the attention and upgrades, and the lathe section was left buggy and feature lacking. 

After using both turning and milling in Fusion, I see the same thing going on here. Milling seems to be much more polished and easy to use than turning. 
I find it difficult to do even the simplest turning operation. The need to fine tune settings multiple times, with trial and error to get it to output a decent tool path is frustrating. 

Don’t get me wrong, it does what I need it to do at the moment and it has not given me bad Gcode, But it would be nice if Fusion would take the time to really refine the lathe stuff, including adding custom tools. 

Perhaps a dialog could be started about some of the already existing features that could be improved apon. For example, the face tool path seems to be the only one with a live update of the changes you make to the settings. Having this on all the tool paths would be fantastic and a huge time saver. 

Message 12 of 43
s.noke71

Three years on still no further forward, C'mon Autodesk

Message 13 of 43
s.noke71

Three years on still no further forward on this????

Message 14 of 43
mikeM8J6E

+1 to all of this. We would like to use Fusion 360 to generate non-standard tool paths for grinding rubber rolls with square wheels and the absence of this feature prevents us from being able to do so. Need to be able to use a square tool with radiused corners to do turning operations.

Message 15 of 43
seth.madore

Does a tool such as this not work? Disregard the poor visual representation of the tool, it's just something produced quickly as proof-of-concept:

2021-11-03_18h00_16.png

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 16 of 43
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

i want to be able to bring in tools from PH Horn or Iscar like the ones I'm attaching. the problem with the current state is that the lathe tools are very limited to only what's in the library and that's it, if i want to machine a groove with a top notch insert its not available. or if i need to custom grind a tool in order to perform a certain operation its not possible with fusion at the moment. 

Message 17 of 43
turbobug64

How about even simple tools like a **** drill. You can't even put a drill in on turning tools??? Now all my drilling can only be done in IPM mode not IPR. 

Message 18 of 43
seth.madore

@turbobug64 are you planning on finding every post regarding lathe tools (regardless of the context) and bumping them with the same general idea of what you are dealing with in the other thread you had going? Please stick to one thread so as to make it easier for other users to find the information they are looking for

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 19 of 43
mikeM8J6E
in reply to: seth.madore

Yes, @seth.madore, I think think something like that would work. Not sure why we weren't able to find that in the past, but we'll give it a shot. Thank you!
Message 20 of 43
mikeM8J6E
in reply to: turbobug64

@turbobug64 - If the issue is just IPM/IPR, can you just allow it to write the program in IPM and then change it edit the code manually?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report