Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cribbage Board - Toolpaths - GBRL

15 REPLIES 15
SOLVED
Message 1 of 16
Anonymous
2986 Views, 15 Replies

Cribbage Board - Toolpaths - GBRL

Hello Fusion 360 world. I have a Carbide 3D Shapeoko XXL machine, and a trial version of Fusion 360, as apparently this is one of the best programs available for machining. The Carbide Create and Carbide Motion programs that come with the Shapeoko are fine for simple projects, but my first project was a cribbage board, and it became apparent that Carbide Motion does not drill holes or "peck" drill holes, hence, my trial version of Fusion 360. I have imported a SVG file, created a Model, but am struggling to get past that stage and work with CAM to create tool paths and then GBRL code. All I am trying to do is create a 1/8" pocket in the square and the maltese cross, and then drill or "peck" drill the peg holes to a 1/2" depth. Can anyone help with some simple instructions? I also have a Carbide 3D probe to set the x,y and z axis on the stock for the Shapeoko. I am very proficient with Adobe Illustrator and computers, but am having a real tough time with Fusion 360. I am almost at the point of hiring someone to create the first file, and I can learn from there. Thanks for any help!FGS-CribBoardRectangleNoNumbersFusionTemplate.jpg

15 REPLIES 15
Message 2 of 16
LibertyMachine
in reply to: Anonymous

Have you created a Fusion file yet?

If so, please export it and attach it here.

File > Export > Save to local folder. Return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

I'm heading off to bed, I can take a look at it in the morning if no one else has a chance tonight 🙂

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Seth - thank you very much for your reply. I have been in the firefighting business for almost 40 years, and my intention is to create a customized cribbage board for firefighters. After reviewing the forum, it seems you own it. I also checked out your website, and obviously, you have some very expensive machinery and expertise in CNC! When you are creating parts for Aerospace or Defense, it is funny that you would offer to help someone create a Cribbage Board.....but it is for firefighters.....any help would be appreciated! The file attached is as far as I could get with Fusion 360. I would like to just create products for the Fire Service, and not try to figure out the software. If I send you files, would you be willing to consider creating the GBRL files for the Shapeoko, and I could just pay your company for your time? Let me know. Thanks.

Brian

Message 4 of 16
LibertyMachine

The honest truth is that I actually enjoy helping people through these forums. I achieve greater satisfaction in steering someone into a solution and better understanding of the software than I ever have with some high end aerospace job or new machine.

I'll be happy to assist you in getting up and running....in the morning 😉

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 16
Anonymous

looking at your file it might be easier if you drew the stock in the model designer and extruded "cut" the shapes into the solid stock. that way you would have a lookalike of what you're making. after that the cam is really easy. just drill holes and make a pocket.

or

you could do it all in 2d from your svg but that's not as fun.

Also your work coronates are messed up. your Y axis is pointing upwards on your setup

Attached is a quick example of doing it in 2D. I would recommend redrawing it as a solid when you actually go to cut it.

Message 6 of 16
LibertyMachine

In addition to what @Anonymous has stated, I'd also point out that Fusion has a very poor time of dealing with SVG files that are anything more than a few lines of text. I've had myt PC churning away for the last several minutes just trying to edit the sketch. Might just have to kill the application and try another method...

I'm redrawing the Model, it will be the easiest way I think. Did you want the Maltese Cross engraved or pocketed to a certain depth?

I'm headed off to church shortly, I'll wrap this up upon my return home 🙂

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
in reply to: LibertyMachine

I agree with @LibertyMachine the only work around for using svg or dxf with tons of lines are

1. Remove all constraints using the select tool

or

2. If it’s a dxf which would import to the perfect size just select it in the sketch and choose lock/unlock . I have had good luck with this, I know it’s a pain but I sometimes up objects that would be different tool paths in superset sketches so I can just pick the sketch when making my toolpaths rather then picking all the lines.

Unfortunately adobe illustrator will rarely if ever give you a clean vector , try using Corel draw. If you bound and determined to use art software then try vectrics they make a 2d version for about $350 it will remove duplicate lines and other dirty things from vector drawings. 

Message 8 of 16
LibertyMachine

It's the "dirtyness" of the SVG that really bogs down a system. There are so many spline points its ridiculous. Even straight lines aren't considered as such, in the case of your pockets..

Seth Madore
Message 9 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Seth - I was hoping to have the square and the Maltese Cross pocketed to a depth of 1/8", and the holes drilled to a depth of 1/2". I am cutting the project on a live edge piece of wood, hence the space/margins to the left of the x axis and top of the y axis to position the milling in the center.

Initially, I was hoping to carve the Maltese Cross, but gave up on that idea for now. I just want to create a pocket for an image inlay. Thanks so much for your help.

Brian

Message 10 of 16
LibertyMachine

How does this look? I opted for an engraving of the cross, but that could easily be changed if desired:

screenshot_56.png

I've attached the file. You can open it into Fusion and "Save As" to make it your own

Seth Madore
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Seth - wow, looks awesome! Can we change the Maltese Cross to a 1/8" pocket? Also, the final "out" hole is supposed to be in the middle of the Maltese Cross, (the winning hole in crib). I don't see it on the simulation. Is it there? Also, just noticed one of the holes is missing in the bottom right of the board (where the hole series starts to curve). Thanks again for your generous help.

Brian

Message 12 of 16
LibertyMachine

We are limited in how sharp of an internal radius we can get to. This is using an .078 tool as well as a touch of engraving:

screenshot_57.pngThe engraving could be changed to a slot.

You should have enough info in this file to backfigure what I did and tweak as needed 🙂

I understand the trepidation with learning the software, but consider it like the old saying: "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time"

We are here to answer any question you might have along your new journey in CAD/CAM and CNC 🙂

Updated file attached

Seth Madore
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Seth - thank you for all of your help on this project! I am ready to run it on my CNC, however, for the life of me I cannot figure out how to add the missing hole on the bottom right. Is this an issue with limitations of the software or just my design. If you know how to add the missing crib hole, it would be much appreciated as I cannot figure it out, even eating the elephant one bite at a time. Thanks.

Brian

Message 14 of 16
LibertyMachine

The file I attached has the hole you requested, unless I misunderstood what you were asking for. Are you not seeing that? It's certainly not a limitation of the software 😉

Seth Madore
Message 15 of 16
Anonymous

Hi Seth - below is an image showing the missing hole at the bottom right of the crib board.......

Brian

Message 16 of 16
LibertyMachine

Silly me...

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report