Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Choosing the right CAM operation

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
litodrums
276 Views, 5 Replies

Choosing the right CAM operation

Good Morning,

Before I begin, I want to thank the many people on this forum who have taken the time to respond to my "beginner like" questions. When I discuss what I'm doing to others I always explain that I would not have gotten this far if it wasn't for the support I've received from this forum. So thank you very much, it's a great journey and learning is part of it.

Before I post a question, I always try to explore as much as I can in F360 and make every effort to exhaust the possibilities before I post. But I'm stumped once a gain.

I've enclosed a file of a part which should be a very simple operation. But I'm finding it very difficult to accomplish.

The ring you see has operations on both ends of the ring. The file you are looking at has two. I would like to surface clean the end. Then cut a 0.250"x0.375" channel. 

I've set CAM to "surface" operation but I seem to be getting a zig zag operation which I don't want. I have tried many other settings but this is the only one that comes close. Is there a way to edit so that the cutting follows the circumference instead of zig zag?

I think the channel is ok but you may find fault with my approach. I want to learn to do this correctly so please, any comments will be helpful.

Thank you very much for any input 

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
LibertyMachine
in reply to: litodrums

Happy New Year!

1) Your Face toolpath is going .06" into your part. Is this intentional, or did you expect something different?

2) Your two best options would be to use either a 2D Contour and take it in one shot, or a 3D Spiral.

2D Contour: Select the inner edge, set Compensation to Computer, turn on "Stock To Leave" and set it to -.1 or so. Adjust your leads to ensure they clear the part (or turn on Stock Contours)

3D Spiral, setting are a bit finicky on the geometry tab. Just take a look at the ones I'm using.

File is attached

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 3 of 6
litodrums
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Happy New Year

Yes the 0.06" is to clean up table saw marks but I might change that to 0.03"

Contour seems to be what I will try. Both would do the job as you suggest.

Thank you very much for your advise

Message 4 of 6
litodrums
in reply to: LibertyMachine

Yes thank you again,

When you suggest 

(turn on "Stock To Leave" and set it to -.1 or so.)

I don't understand this dimension you suggest. The finish part height will be 1.000". 

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: litodrums

I didn't look at your file but what I think Seth is suggesting is by adding a negative value in stock to leave it will cause the cutter to cut a larger area to insure it cleans off all the stock and no burrs are left like what would happen if it cut exactly to the geometry selected.

If using a face mill the inserts have a corner radius and that radius would leave an uncut area if following the geometry exactly. Adding a negative value larger then the corner radius of the insert in stock to leave tab will inure it cleans that area up.

Message 6 of 6
LibertyMachine
in reply to: Anonymous

Bingo. Sorry, I missed this thread in my notifications.

Yes, the "Stock to Leave" would only be on the Radial. This would allow it to cut well over the edge of the part, accounting for any variation in size of the inserts, edge wear, tool nose radius, etc

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report