Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Chamfer is too smart for it's own good?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
engineeringNCMXB
365 Views, 5 Replies

Chamfer is too smart for it's own good?

I am trying to add a chamfer but F360 is trying to be too smart - presumably trying to avoid collisions. While I can appreciate that, right now I just want the software to follow a path and stop being smart. I know exactly what I want.....just follow a profile with a chamfer tool. 

How can I best tell F360 to use a sketched profile to drive a 2D chamfer and ignore everything that may cause it to avoid and area?

CAM_A.pngCAM_B.png

Carlos Acosta
Factory400 - YouTube|Instagram
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

The chain is verified to be closed....

CAM_C.png

The tip of the tool does not hit the model.

CAM_D.png

Carlos Acosta
Message 3 of 6

Ditch the "Chamfer" operation and use 2D Contour. When a chamfer type tool is selected, it pops open a new column in the Passes tab to allow you to define chamfer sizes

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 4 of 6

Excellent! That seems to have nailed it. Easy. 

So, now I wonder what the 2D Chamfer option is useful for. 

Carlos Acosta
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: engineeringNCMXB

I have used it a couple times for cleaning up the edge's on some clamps I was making. The cool part was telling my supervisor there is a tool path that will do that in fusion and seeing the puzzled look on his face when he use to do a bunch of depth and offset calculating by hand. I'd be curious to know if one could incorporate a round over style bit into the mix and If it could still calculate offsets to avoid crashing.

Message 6 of 6

2D Chamfer does have it's uses, and it's limitations. Truthfully, I just almost always use 2D Contour, as it affords me more control and it's not plagues with issues such as tolerance and false collisions. That said, if it's a quick op I'm programming, I'll grab 2D Chamfer

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report