Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cant work out how to import a vice. Hows that?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
boyd.sofield
347 Views, 8 Replies

Cant work out how to import a vice. Hows that?

Ive been using Fusion for about 5 years. I hardly ever use the data menu on the LH side. Have not needed too. I did learn on the very early days how to add a body for stock, and using the joints commands, import a vice from the CAM samples and joint the stock, component and vice together.  

Now, if I open that same folder with a 5 axis vice I am unable to import it at all. I can open it into its own page.

If I right click on a vice I get no menu options such as "import" its just dead. Is there a new or different way to import a CAM sample vice into a current design? Its such a basic thing to not work, I restarted Fusion but yep, nada.

What am I doing wrong please?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9

I have no right click for any of the "CAM Samples" files. You probably just have to save a copy under your own folder. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!
Message 3 of 9
seth.madore
in reply to: boyd.sofield

Anything from the CAMSamples folder is "Read Only". What you need to do is open it up and perform a "Save As" and save it to a new folder in your Team hub. From there, you should then be able to import the vice into your file.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 4 of 9
boyd.sofield

Thats it. A dead mouse click is like finding the lawn mower with no petrol.... Thanks.

Hey so I saw a movie a while ago about joints with a vice. I see the joints command seems to be different now with updates I guess. I cant seem to find the original and I am unable to get the jointing to work to satis.

If I have my part. I make a extrudable rectangle around my part and extrude it for my stock. Now I have my part, inside another body. How do I get them to move together in a joint? I tried converting them to components is that correct?

Message 5 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

This video from 2019 is well worth watching as the concepts still apply even though fusion has changed a lot since then

https://www.autodesk.com/autodesk-university/class/Streamlining-CAM-Workflows-Templates-2019

Create a Component called fixture and put all the vice/ riser elements in it.

Create a component called Stock and make a parametric box inside of it.

The trick is not to try and Joint the Stock Component to the vice, you joint it to the origin and offset it so it sits in the vice correctly and the parameters drive the size and positioning.

Then you have another component called part that contains the part you want to machine, this can be jointed to the stock component

Message 6 of 9
boyd.sofield

I really appreciate that. WCS was my main problem I seem to have it sorted. Ive been using Fusion for years and was stumped. Some great tips on that movie I got about halfway though before I had to pause it.

I have just started using a 4th Axis pointing in the Y direction. One more question is this. I have setup for a 1st op but now I have a vice at the end of my stock instead of underneath which is easy to miss when I set my bottom height. Now though, the program will want to remove the stock thats in the jaws. I am keen to hear what is the best strategy to implement to avoid this? 

What I was going to do is sketch a rectangle and use that for a selection boarder. Or is there a more professional way to limit the Y direction so it does not crash into my vice? Know what I mean?

Message 7 of 9
a.laasW8M6T

Hi

Yes the best way currently is to use a sketch boundary(or boundaries) + heights to contain the toolpath

There is not yet a way to add the fixture as an avoid model.

Message 8 of 9
boyd.sofield

Hi. Ok thankyou. I guess one day that might happen. Hey, its been a while since I put an endmill through a vice. It was a regular thing once. Ok. I will make this part. Appreciate the help. B

Message 9 of 9

This is what I use. Formula's to change my stock/opening size. You can see via the timeline how it's made to replicate in your models. 

Please click "Accept Solution" if what I wrote solved your issue!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report