Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cam lathe/turn hex stock

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
k6ls
1097 Views, 8 Replies

cam lathe/turn hex stock

I have a good handle on milling, now I want to try some turning/lathe CAM for the first time.

I have my part drawn, and it's pretty simple, but I'm having an issue setting up stock.

I want to use hex (6) bar stock

not sure how to set that up.  do I just set up stock as a "Fixed size cylinder", using the inscribed diameter of the hex stock ?

just need to face the end, drill and tap a hole and chamfer a portion of the stock from the end I just faced,

then part it off to length.  part is only 1" OAL.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
daniel_lyall
in reply to: k6ls

Model the stock in then in the setup select from solid and pick the hex stock model you did.

This will give you whats needed

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 9
daniel_lyall
in reply to: k6ls

Model the stock in then in the setup select from solid and pick the hex stock model you did.

This will give you what is needed.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 4 of 9

how to you set the stock length to a length longer than the solid model ???

this matter when you view the cam simulation which includes the parting ( cut off)

🙂

john

Message 5 of 9

The Stock definition tab has ample ability to define your stock to anything you want it to be:
2019-01-05_17h34_09.png

2019-01-05_17h35_18.png

Seth Madore
Owner, Liberty Machine, Inc.
Good. Fast. Cheap. Pick two.
Message 6 of 9

i donot  see the hex option ??  what did i miss ??

Message 7 of 9

There is not a hex option under the stop tab. What Liberty was suggesting was that you could use "from solid" to model hex stock or use "round stock" that is circumscribed. His image shows that tab for using offset from front face to create stock longer than your model so that you can simulate your parting off operation. 

Message 8 of 9

With fusion you have a lot of tools you can use in CAM most cam stuff can be modeled in or a sketch used.

For your stock have what you won't model into your design, have a hex bar the length and size you need in the same places as your model you are cutting.

You will have this as from solid in the stock tab of the setup, you don't need to turn the stock model on to select it, you just click on it in the tree and it will be all you need to do but make sure your WCS is still in a safe position.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 9 of 9

perfect 🙂

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report