Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BUG: Unable to output negative zero

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
ikcalb
365 Views, 6 Replies

BUG: Unable to output negative zero

In some CNC controllers (i.e. linuxcnc. see #3 at http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?WrappedRotaryAxes ), the sign of the rotary axis position is used to determine the direction of the rotary movement.

I dont't mean to start a discussion whether this is useful (spoiler: IMHO this is CRUCIAL),

BUT:

It should be able, to output a negative zero!

(JavaScript, the lang of the post does distinguish positive or negative zero, so this should be no showstopper)

P.S. Any other controller i know (Heidenhain, Siemens) would ignore the negative sign on zero anyways

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
AchimN
in reply to: ikcalb

The generic fadal post processor has that logic implemented:

https://cam.autodesk.com/hsmposts?p=fadal

Look for function getABCDir(_a, _b, _c)

Achim.N
Principal Technology Consultant
Message 3 of 7
ikcalb
in reply to: AchimN

Excuse me if I'm sounding impolite: Please read my question again, because I don't know how to rephrase it.

I'm not talking about any random angle - just for *0* (read zero) degrees.

I've seen that logic (cleaned up the code), it works for any other angle, just not 0.

Signed zero seems to be truncated to positive always

(Thats the bug I'm referring to)

Message 4 of 7
daniel_lyall

https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/hsm-post-processor-forum/how-to-set-up-a-4-5-axis-machine-configurati...

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 5 of 7
ikcalb
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Thank you for your efforts - but please, no more standardized replies!

I HAVE:

* a working 4 axis post processor

PROBLEM:

I cannot get it to post "G... A-0."

(So for ANY movement, if the desired angle is 0.000° exactly, the SIGN is ALWAYS DROPPED)

As I'm a programmer, aware of different representations of "zero" as a float, I consider this a BUG.

Please forward this to someone with (computer) programming skills.

Thanks a lot & relaxed pre-holidays,

Florian

Message 6 of 7
daniel_lyall

Why do you want a -0 

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 7 of 7
ikcalb
in reply to: daniel_lyall

For wrapped rotary axes (that can turn in one direction indefinetly), imagine non symmetrical 4/5 axis parts - ie. some part, where a rotation to the left side (say 270°) is only possible in one direction: turning "negative". (turning from 0 to 90 to 180 to 270 would cause a collision on the way)

When the control is taking the shortest path always, one is not able to program a move >180° directly, there always has to be intermediate positions. In order to make a programmed move non ambigous,

TL;DR

some controls determine the intended direction of the move by the sign of the rotary coordinate: if the current position is  `A90`

> `A0` would result in a :positive motion" (moving A91..A180..A270)

whereas

> `A-0` would result in a "negative motion" (moving A89..A88..A0)

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report