Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner needs help with steam valve

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
jrlandau
262 Views, 7 Replies

Beginner needs help with steam valve

For the slide valve (5/8 x 1 inch) on a model steam engine, I need to cut two slots right across, one (1/8) the long way and one (3/16) the short way, all centered.  No problem designing it in design mode, but I am stuck in mfg. mode.  I've tried 2D Contour, Slot, and 2D Pocket, but I can't find a way to tell Fusion what I want to do--I keep ending up with no toolpath!  Any help will be much appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
johnswetz1982
in reply to: jrlandau

Either use trace or slot with appropriate sized tool. With the slot operation you will need to lie to fusion and say you are using a smaller tool (.124) than the slot actually is because slot will not work with an tool the same size as the slot.

Message 3 of 8
jrlandau
in reply to: johnswetz1982

Thanks for your help. I changed the tool diameter to .124 but I still
haven't gotten the slot to work. I don't know how you are supposed to
indicate where you want to cut, of how deep the slot is, and I am out of
ideas. I feel that I just don't understand how it is intended to work.

I have also tried 2D Contour but again failed. It would not create a path
at all until I killed the lead-in and out. I choose the four sides of the
bottom of the slot for the toolpath, but the result is that the cut stops
where the circumference of the tool touches the end of the slot, leaving
metal at both ends.
Message 4 of 8
johnswetz1982

See the attached as an example. I would go through some of the examples that come included with fusion to see how certain toolpaths and selections work. There is also youtube were there are tons of videos and how I taught myself Fusion

Message 5 of 8
engineguy

@jrlandau

FWIW Just another option for you to try, file attached, DOCs, feeds,speeds etc, your choice 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Message 6 of 8
jrlandau
in reply to: johnswetz1982

That did the trick. Many thanks.
Message 7 of 8
jrlandau
in reply to: engineguy

Beautiful!  Was it simply experience that told you to use 3D Pocket, or is there something I should have known? For this case at least, it looks much nicer than 2D Pocket.

Message 8 of 8
engineguy

@jrlandau 

Hmmm, not sure if it is something you should have known, just the way I looked at it 🙂

If I see something that has different levels as in the case of your two slots then that to me suggests 3D so I would approach the task with that in my mind and be more inclined to look at the 3D options first.

Not a hard and fast rule to be sure, for example there are times when a 2D Trace does a 3D task, what works best works, IMHO this was the best method 🙂 🙂 🙂

Stay Safe

Regards

Rob

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report