Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Beginner Needs Approval and why is every tool path Invalid? (CAM)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
706 Views, 5 Replies

Beginner Needs Approval and why is every tool path Invalid? (CAM)

Hi Guys, Man Very Happy

I love F360 so far and giving my first CNC (of my life) a try.  I am going to be using a Flexicam CNC (which I'm sure i'll have questions for next). But I am having problems with generating tool paths that are VALID.  Mine are all RED and "INVALID". Robot Embarassed

Attached is a file that I want to CNC out of a Stock piece of wood that is:

Stock Dimensions = 4 FT x 6" x 1"  (a plank of wood i picked up at Home Depot)

I know this is Basic for all of you -- but for me -- this will be a "small step... for mankind" (a huge deal).

Could someone Please tell me which I should do?

- 2d?  vs 3d?

- Adaptive? vs Contour? or both?

- Please note, this is my first week in knowing anything CNC (e.g. terms, methods, undercuts are a not possible -- i get that much), so bare with me and please type to me like I'm a child I will not be offended; only immensely grateful for your time.  Thank you again guys and Have a great day.

1.png2.png3.png

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
RandyKopf
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous

Hi

Just looking at your part model most of you tool paths seem fine.

The main thing you need to do is find tool paths that will cut away excess material and finish your part to size

You may want to do a 3D Adaptive cut on the 2 large pockets just to remove excess material.

I would like to check out your file but I am not sure you actually attached it.

Attached is a tip on how to export your file from Fusion 360.

Just attach it here and someone here will check it out and get back to you!

Thank you,

Randy Kopf 

http://desktopartisan.blogspot.com/

If my post is helpful, press the LIKE Button If it resolves your issue, press Accept as Solution! Have a great day!
Message 3 of 6
RandyKopf

@Anonymous

When you get those warnings... you can "right mouse click" on the operation, you will see this menu and choose show log...

Sometimes it will let you know what is causing the problem. Not always but many times.

warning.jpg

Randy Kopf 

If my post is helpful, press the LIKE Button If it resolves your issue, press Accept as Solution! Have a great day!
Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: RandyKopf

The file is attached.

Thanks for the reply @RandyKopf.  I am in orange county and using the Flexicam at a local community college.

When I generate log it just says "Generation completed successfully in 3.7s." Doesn't sound helpful.

1. In the attached files, it is difficult to tell, so I must ask, when it cuts out the pockets, is it getting the Contoured Gradual Walls (of the Square Pocket?)

2. Which method should I select to get this additional material out? as you can see the fingers slope down, and in my 2D Contour which I set up to do tabs

Note: I am limited to using 1 single bit (1/4" 2 flute flat) to do this.  Also the piece of wood will be drilled down, no clamping.  These two things are inflexible per the instructor in this beginning lesson.  So wood tabs are a must.  When selecting 3D Adaptive Clearing (you suggested 3D Adaptive Cut, i assume this is the same thing), I do not see the option to Click "tabs". Smiley Frustrated

4.png

Message 5 of 6
RandyKopf

@Anonymous

Since you have a constraint of 1 main tool and need glue tabs,

1) I elected to uses a sketch as a containment curve to limit the tool path to what I want to cut. In this case avoiding the sides that will be cut later.

2) I also used the model as a 3D shape for the 3D Adaptive Mill and I rough the 3D shape.

3) Next I elected to used a Parallel cut at an angle of 0 degrees. This lets me cut the various 3D shapes like the angle ends with some 3D Contour and the miter box etc.

4) Next I duplicated that tool path and I changed the angle to 90 degrees. (Like mowing the lawn in one direction than cutting 90 degree passes to that.

5) I changed the 2D contour with the glue tabs to cut only the 2 outer edges. Use ALT while selecting and it lets you pick single curves.

Randy's Example.jpg

Randy Kopf 

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: RandyKopf

I'm now editing each tool path to study what you did.  I really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report