Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backside NPT Thread MIll

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
lmiller
249 Views, 6 Replies

Backside NPT Thread MIll

Hi,

I am making a 1/2" npt thread on a vertical mill with a single form tool. The catch is I want to do it without flipping the part over so that means that the taper will be reversed. I have modeled the hole with the taper but the tool path keeps generating the taper the wrong way. hope this makes sense. Any help would be appreciated2023-03-15 15_38_23-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Labels (1)
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
seth.madore
in reply to: lmiller

I don't think what you're wanting to do is possible

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7
lmiller

Hi Seth,

Is it not possible in Fusion or is it not physically possible?

Message 4 of 7
seth.madore

Not possible in Fusion with the Thread toolpath. It's a bit hacky, but if you were hellbent on doing it in reverse, you might be able to get a Ramp toolpath to work would need to use a 3D toolpath that supports undercuts AND a ramp move 🤔

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7
leo.castellon

How would you inspect the thread when machining it from that direction? 

LeoC

Message 6 of 7
lmiller
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi Seth,

If I were making thousands of these then I'd make an attempt. This project is for a small run so I'll fixture it up and flip the part. Thank you!

Message 7 of 7
lmiller
in reply to: leo.castellon

Hi Leo,

These threads are on the underside of a 22" x 22" PVC plate. I would probably first trial run the thread on small pieces of PVC. Once the program was dialed in, I would run the 22" plate. Since the material is PVC it does not wear on the tools so I would get repeatable results.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report