Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on toolpath for machines with small memory

21 REPLIES 21
Message 1 of 22
ashes.man
1511 Views, 21 Replies

Advice on toolpath for machines with small memory

Hi,

My old Mazak while physically capable, has very limited memory.  It seems that increasing the memory was an optional feature but how to do it has been lost in history!  It has about 48kB of usable program memory.  

I am after advice on how to work with a machine such as this with Fusion 360.  Almost every toolpath it generates exceeds this memory limit.  I can break my job into lots of files and upload them one by one.  Or even beak operations up into smaller operations and upload each file.   But, maybe there is a better way?

An example part I wish to make is attached.  Any advice on how you would break machining of this part into operations my machine could handle would be greatly appreciated.

21 REPLIES 21
Message 21 of 22
ashes.man
in reply to: engineguy

@Laurens-3DTechDraw @engineguy Thanks for your suggestions.  I had looked at those Seimens packages and thought they looked great, but to be honest, more than I could justify spending on this machine.  I bought it for scrap value as the electronics were bung but then repaired the electronics and got it all sorted. 

It has an annoying software bug where it loses its siht if you ask it to do an arc in the XZ plane, like lowering a tool and arcing it into the horizontal plane.  And the lack of memory.  Other than that it is a perfect machine for me and  has a footprint of only about 1.8 by 1.5m.  This is an example of one running, mine doesn't have the pallet changer.

In all my googling I did not come across those cs-lab controllers.  They definitely look like an option.  I had set my mind on not using a PC driven control due to my previous bad experience with them.  I had thought the Centroid Oak board looked to be a good option.  It uses a PC for the user interface but does all the machine control onboard.

Most everything I have found is targeted at CNC router tables.  They don't have any configurability to get the tool changer working etc.

I doubt I can use the Mazak servo drive board or spindle controller as they are all Mazak special.  It has AC servo motors all with encoders on them and closed loop control.   The spindle motor just looks like the other servos but bigger.  I may break out the oscilloscope and look at the Mazak servo control signals if I get desperate as they are all there and working...

Message 22 of 22
ashes.man
in reply to: engineguy

@Laurens-3DTechDraw @engineguy Thanks for your suggestions.  Basically all the electronics in this machine is Mazak made and cannot be re-used.  Its a real shame as it actually works really well besides a few minor quirks.

A Siemens kit would be nice but kind of pricy given the value of this machine.  Also seems to be an older control system and capped at 1Mb memory.  F360 makes programs in excess of 500kB just to do a basic 3d profiling so 1Mb is borderline I think.

I had never in all my googling seen the cs-labs controller.  They look pretty good for the money.   I also looked at Masso and contacted their support.  The support was so bad I discarded that option.  But would be an awesome controller for a router.  I had also decided on not using a controller that was driven by a PC for its motion control.  I already have one of them and not overly happy with it.

I think I have settled on a Centroid Oak controller if I decide to go that way.  Price seems reasonable for its capabilities and supports all the configurability and macro programming required for my tool changer and other features I would like to add.

I am struggling to find servo drivers to work with my AC servo motors.  I cant find a lot of information about the motors which doesn't help!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report