Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on 5 axis toolpath to use

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
azjulian72
361 Views, 7 Replies

Advice on 5 axis toolpath to use

Hi - I have a body that has previously been turned and no its on the 5 axis.  It has .063" radius channels running down it at 8 places.  Back view

Screenshot 2023-06-26 072733.png

Side view 

Screenshot 2023-06-26 072824.png

section analysis side view (to show slots)

Screenshot 2023-06-26 072955.png

Screenshot 2023-06-26 073106.png

The channel (and the body) start straight but then curve off at a 7" radius.  Whats the best toolpath to use to follow that curve in the Z using a .125 ball mill ?  Would that be trace ? (which I never use...) at the moment I'm just using a parallel toolpath 

Screenshot 2023-06-26 073327.png

But for a lot of these things that's too time consuming.

thanks in advance !  

Julian

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
seth.madore
in reply to: azjulian72

Trace or Project would do the job. If you could share your file, we could apply some toolpaths to your part and see which gets you closest to a solution

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 8
azjulian72
in reply to: seth.madore

Hi Seth - I'll give both a try, unfortunately I'm restricted on sharing the file due to client confidentiality.

Julian

Message 4 of 8
seth.madore

@azjulian72 wrote:

Hi Seth - I'll give both a try, unfortunately I'm restricted on sharing the file due to client confidentiality.

Julian

Understood, it's not an uncommon restriction. If you could "save as" the part and defeature it, or create a sample file and share that, would that be possible?

Seth Madore
Message 5 of 8
azjulian72

ok I simplified the model to just the problem at hand, the first setup is a turning op (which in the original file has a dovetail etc) the second setup is the 5 axis one, currently I'm solving the problem with a 3+2 axis parallel toolpath.

Julian

Message 6 of 8
seth.madore

Give this file a view. I've used the Project toolpath along with a surface offset and sketch to get you something that will machine a fair bit quicker:

2023-06-26_15h58_42.png

Seth Madore
Message 7 of 8
azjulian72

Thank you Seth - this worked perfectly!

image0.jpeg

Message 8 of 8
seth.madore

Excellent, glad to hear!

Seth Madore

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report