Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

5-axis trimming of vacformed parts

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
stevehattCXSXP
220 Views, 6 Replies

5-axis trimming of vacformed parts

Does anyone have experience in using Fusion to create 5-axis toolpaths for trimming of vacuum formed mouldings?

We are looking at Fusion to do machining but we have 3 routers that we need to program using the 5-axis toolpaths.

Looking to connect with anyone doing this already as we are struggling to convey our desired usage to the sales team.

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7

The Advanced Swarf toolpath should do a decent job of this. Do you have a file you could share so we could try out a few options and see how it works for you?

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 7

Hi Seth, thanks for the reply. With the greatest respect we are looking to connect with a company that is already implementing this so we can get an end user appraisal. We have had contact with a re-seller and they 'tried' different things but don't fully understand our process imo, even after a factory visit. (and it has taken 5 months so far to get a quotation). So we have to be fully convinced that the software will do exactly what we need and with the knowledge and support being available. 

Message 4 of 7

No disrespect taken, thanks for the context!

If you don't mind sharing, what reseller were you working with (send me a PM if you'd rather not state publicly). 

The one downside to this forum is that a lot of the traffic is transient, with customers coming in when they have an issue with a toolpath, get an answer and then seldom seen again (until the next issue). As such, I'm not extremely hopeful that you're going to find the feedback you're hoping for 😞

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 7

I've seen both of the current swarf options (swarf and advanced swarf) used for this purpose a few times. In some cases driven off the base geometry and in others off surfaces created to drive the tool exactly as desired. I agree with Seth that is may be difficult to connect with someone currently doing this. 

Are you able to convey here what is unique to your scenario, or what your specific challenges/concerns are?

Message 6 of 7

@Garrett_Wade , Hi, we currently use the surface and an outline for the toolpath. The software we use allows us to manipulate the tool position/angle at any given point along the toolpath, for example allowing us to lock the head at -180 but still follow an undulating path, whilst the default is to keep the head perpendicular to the surface, if that makes sense? The other concern is that there doesn't appear to be much knowledge around what we are doing and so the support may not be there...?

Message 7 of 7

There is not currently any way that I know to select points along the path and adjust a triad to set tool vector at that point on the path. You can however in some cases use edges of a surface or sketch selection to drive these, very simple example photo below showing angle driven from a sketch:

Screenshot 2024-05-28 at 12.02.54 PM.jpg
Creating ruled surfaces to help drive what you want is the more common approach I see (in fusion) to gain further control and cut in at different angles to the surface in some sections of the toolpath. Doing this is obviously a more manual approach and most of the work is done in the design side.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report