Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

4th axis flute machining

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
386 Views, 4 Replies

4th axis flute machining

Hello all

Can any of you great people help me with some 4th axis fluting.

i wish to machine the flute in the attached file in a 4th axis preferably with a flat end mill not a ball endmill, in order to keep the flute shape as close to the model as possible, no matter what i try i can not get a sensible tool path, the tool path always want to use the end of the cutter not the side, any help you guys and gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks 

Steve

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all

Can any of you great people help me with some 4th axis fluting.

i wish to machine the flute in the attached file in a 4th axis preferably with a flat end mill not a ball endmill, in order to keep the flute shape as close to the model as possible, no matter what i try i can not get a sensible tool path, the tool path always want to use the end of the cutter not the side, any help you guys and gals can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks 

Steve

You cannot drive flat end mill in wrap mode because slot starts on one diameter and ends on another diameter but you can only wrap tool path on single diameter. Ball end mill gets most of the job done and then you can drive small size end mill along vertical wall in wrap mode to remove fillet.

I used taper mill, otherwise it does not capture entire wall due to the fact that end mill points to model center and cannot be tilted when tool path is wrapped. 

No matter how you slice it, with 4th axis, you will have fillets and areas tool cannot fully define but I think this is as close as I can get without making career out of it.2019-11-26 19_44_56-Autodesk Fusion 360.png

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous

Little more attention given to removal of ball end mill fillet. Adaptive tool path has a lot of air cutting over area that is not being cut and I am not sure if there is a way to prevent that, if I missed it, or if thee is a better choice of tool path, I'd like to see it done by someone else.

2019-11-27 05_23_30-Window.png

Message 4 of 5
seth.madore

Honestly, you got further than I would have attempted, I don't think there's much improvement to be had. Fusion is good at some things, and.....not so good at others. This would be one of them. With a 5 axis, you might be able to get further, easier. But not on a 4 axis machine

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 5 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: seth.madore

OK, I'll buy that, the thing that interests me in 4th axis is fact that I do a lot of C axis work on lathe and the function is essentially the same so I want to find limits of what can be done.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report