Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

3D-contur using stepover instead of stepdown

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
Anonymous
1530 Views, 7 Replies

3D-contur using stepover instead of stepdown

Hello,

I am trying to to use 3D-contur, but instead of using a Stepdown I would like to use Stepover in the x-direction. So it is basically a scallop operation along the contour lines. Is there anyway to implement that? I attached the file, where I tried using a couple of different methods, but none of them is ideal. 

Thank you for the help.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
HughesTooling
in reply to: Anonymous

Try a setup like this. Course Stepdown fine Stepover.

Capture.PNG

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 8

Not sure how Maximum shallow Stepover works, setting it to 0.01 doesn't have much effect so maybe not as useful as I thought.

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 4 of 8
fredsi

I can see why you would like the step-over capability, but don't think there is any way to implement. That said, I took profile you are trying to machine and broke it up into two contour operations using the 'Slope' setting in the geometry tab. That way, I was able to change the stepdown in one contour to a much lower number for the surface from 0-20deg (arbitrary choice) and get a finer 'step-over' in this area.

Fred

Message 5 of 8
jeff.walters

Contour is designed for more vertical wall and therefor it uses a stepdown, for more horizontal walls (or floors) we recommend using parallel.

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff.walters

Thank you for all the replies,

I will try the advice of fredsi. 

@HughesTooling: I tried your approach before but did not get me good results

@jeff.walters parallel will not follow the contours but move only along x or y (at least in my understanding)

Message 7 of 8
jeff.walters

In Parallel you have an option to set the angle to whatever works best for you situation. But yes it won’t turn corners.

pass.png

Jeff Walters
Senior Support Engineer, CAM
Message 8 of 8
Anonymous
in reply to: jeff.walters

I saw that option, of using parallel and splitting deviding my part into 3 pieces, using different axes

I might still do this and compare the cut.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report