Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D contour not cutting all the way through

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
holmesmex
2178 Views, 7 Replies

2D contour not cutting all the way through

Selected a 2D contour on MDF 4.6mm. Using Easel to run the gcode on my XCarve, the actual machined depth ranges from just scratching the surface to max 1mm , not the full depth as I intended (attached photo of final results)

Seeing the fusion 360 simulation, I see some differences in the profiles, dont knwo why.

I do use the Easel post processor to export the code.

7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
daniel_lyall
in reply to: holmesmex

Can you attach a Gcode you have produced that is falling and the model you used to make the G code to attach the file do this Go to File -> Export and save as a .F3D Archive File and attach it to your next post.

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User
My Websight, Daniels Wheelchair Customisations.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn

Message 3 of 8
holmesmex

Here is the model and the GCode

Message 4 of 8
daniel_lyall

There's nothing in the Gcode that could make what you are seeing happen.

Now when you start setting up the G code you must setup the setup correctly the 3 bits the arrows are pointing to you must do.

bvbvcvbvcbvc.png

In this bit the tolerances set how it is in the pick is a good setting low than that the toolpath starts to get loose.

Finish feedrate 2032 mm/min that may be the problem cutting way faster than the machine can realy do.

smoothing deviation 0.01 is a tight fit but you wont tight 

if your not chamfering un tick it.

fgdgfdgfdgagfaaggfdgfdgfa.png

Is tool an endmill or a chamfer mill

tyytyutuytuytuytuytuyt.png

Win10 pro | 16 GB ram | 4 GB graphics Quadro K2200 | Intel(R) 8Xeon(R) CPU E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz 3.50 GHz

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 5 of 8
holmesmex
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Thanks Daniel for taking the time,

I made the suggested changes but the simulation still looks not right.   The figure is a circular pattern so results should be identical but if you look at the picture, again there are two types of results, and it would seem on some the machining is made outside the profile and on others is made inside.   

On the bit, I'm using a straight bit, fusion 360  does not deal with woodworkers bits (straight, V) so we have to simulate them from a chamfer bit.   I did change it to 1/8 flat end mill but results are the same and then for some reason I can't go back to the chamfer one, when I do a "invalid tool path" error occurs.

Message 6 of 8
daniel_lyall

You can use Vbits with fusion you set them up as a chamfer bit and make them look like a V bit or do them as a form mill so when you sim it looks correct and if someone helps they don't question it.

I am a router user I use them all the time.

If the toolpath is cutting on the wrong side you click on the red arrow to change what side of the line it cuts.

when you attach picks can you insert them instead 

wefweefwefewfewfew.png

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Message 7 of 8
holmesmex
in reply to: daniel_lyall

Ok, so it seems the problem was with the direction on some of the lines.  I re-selected everything and changed the orientation of the lines making sure I could see the tabs on the correct side.  The simulation now looks right.

I sent the GCode and is indeed cutting all the way through like I wanted but  had to stop after only 3 cuts because the roughing pass went all the way down which is too much for my machine.   I'll have to look how to set up depth of cut so it goes down at least half of what it is now.

Once I solve that I'll finish the runa and let you know how everything went.

I do set up the V bits as chamfer, would rather do as V bits but I read a discussion about it and seems that won't happen, at least not soon. 

And thanks on the tip for attaching photos.

Message 8 of 8
daniel_lyall

V bits as in a tool named Vbit no you cant make one yet you ever use a chamfer as the base tool or do a form tool theres a vid here on it https://www.autodesk.com/products/fusion-360/blog/october-17-2017-update-whats-new/

A chamfer tool or Vcarve bit can be used for engraving, V Carving, chamfering, prism cutting plus a lot of other things.

Some professional cad/cam programs call a V carve toolpath engrave a woodworking program/hobby program they say it's V carving or V carving/engrave or engrave/Vcarve.

Daniel Lyall
The Big Boss
Mach3 User

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report