Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Contour: More finishing overlap than specified/tangential fragment extension distance has no effect

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
FrodoLoggins
319 Views, 4 Replies

2D Contour: More finishing overlap than specified/tangential fragment extension distance has no effect

1: If I specify a finishing overlap of 1" the result is much more than one inch. The part shown is about 7.8" x 9.8" yet a 1" finishing overlap makes the lead out jump to the other side of the part:

No overlap:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 8.17.40 AM.png

1" of overlap:

Screenshot 2023-04-14 at 8.20.02 AM.png

2: Tangential frag extension distance seems to have no effect; lead out is in same location regardless of the TFED value:

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Uploaded by None on 2023-04-14.
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: FrodoLoggins

Using Ramp and Multiple Depths in conjunction tends to lead to some unexpected results. They typically shouldn't be used together, since those both serve the same purpose essentially

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
FrodoLoggins
in reply to: seth.madore

Well I'm using multiple depths because this is being milled on a router that isn't very rigid and I'm using a ramp to avoid plunging the end mill. Any plans for this to be fixed/improved?

- Time Magazine’s Person of the Year 2006
- Apple M1 Max rMBP A2485 // Latest MacOS // Latest Fusion
- Usually working off files uploaded to Fusion as: Step, STL, SLDPRT. If it matters ask me.
Message 4 of 5

@FrodoLoggins Thanks for feedback. I'm not sure if it's a bug or by design behaviour for "finishing overlap". Now it's applied to each z-level even if toolpath ramps down. Easy to see on the screenshot below (you example with disabled Ramp). It means that start point for the ramp is moved further along contour on each z-level and we have final lead-out very far away from toolpath without "finishing overlaps".

olegtikhomirov_1-1681486520543.png

olegtikhomirov_0-1681486057388.png

@seth.madore What do you think? Is it worth ticket?

Oleg Tikhomirov
Software Engineer
Message 5 of 5

@oleg.tikhomirov thanks for prompting me on this. I've opened up CAM-44539 to investigate this issue.

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report