Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D contour - face selection

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
Anonymous
1976 Views, 13 Replies

2D contour - face selection

Should it be possible to select a flat face for a 2D contour and get it to find all of the paths on the face, both the outer and inner parts?

I am looking at using 2D contour to drive a laser cutter, I am happy to write my own post processor, but it is tedious to have to select all of the individual elements on a face.

Purely as an example, imagine a flat component with 100 holes in it, I just want to select the face and let the software figure the rest out, I don't want to have to select the outline and all of the circles individually.

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
anthony.graves
in reply to: Anonymous

Generally speaking a 2D contour requires that you select the actual contours you want to machine; and should propagate around each entire contour so you don't have to select segments. Let me do some checking into the hole contour selection for the example you provided. I'll post an update shortly.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM 

Message 3 of 14

I got an update from development and they have been working on a variant to our face selection that allows you to select inner/outer edges. I'll look at where we are at and see if what we have thus far is something that could get worked into an upcoming release (not Nov, but in one of the next few releases.) I'll keep you posted.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: anthony.graves

That sounds great, thanks for the quick feedback.
Message 5 of 14
Anonymous

Just had a thought about this, would be nice if it was not just a selection aid to choose inner or outer.

Would be ideal if it recalculated the path when the model changes to include new inner components and exclude removed ones.

So in the scenario I described, if the design changed from 100 holes to 90 or 110, the path would be correctly updated based on the rule saying "inner edges".

This would be a great enhancement. I am often iterating through designs and the cutting on my laser to get just the right look. This change would streamline the process enormously.

Should I load this as an idea or is it all under control?

Message 6 of 14
anthony.graves

davoque, I've sent a link to this post over to our lead UI developer (Mark Porsby, incidentally). He spends a great deal of time on the selections, specifically, and loves feedback/suggestions like this. Intelligent selections is one of most important features in a CAM system and we definitely give this a high priority.

Thanks again for the suggestion.

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

Message 7 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks for the quick reply, sounds very promising. Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 14
anthony.graves

Just a quick update. Spoke to our Dev manager today and it looks like we are planning to add one of our new guys (starting Dec 1) full-time on the selections under the direction of Mark Porsby. I'll definitely make sure that your suggestion is noted when they sit down to map out selection development for Dec/Jan. (Can you believe it's already December?? Well, almost...)

Anthony Graves

Product Manager, CAM

PS - Have a great Thanksgiving, if you're in the States. Otherwise, have a great Thursday. 😉

Message 9 of 14
Anonymous

Thanks again.

I'm in Australia, so no thanksgiving and Thursday has nearly gone!

Message 10 of 14
porsbym

Would it be possible for you to supply a few examples of the type of files you typically work with?

That way we can make sure that the new selection methods work well with them from the start.

If you prefer privately sharing or e-mailing, my address is mark.porsby@autodesk.com

Thanks and best regards,

Mark

Message 11 of 14
Anonymous
in reply to: porsbym

I have sent you a couple of examples, let me know if you need more.

Message 12 of 14
steveripplingerjr

Ill privately share a file with you for this feature. 

I am in need of this also. I am creating a checker pattern on knife handles. 

File inbound. 

Here is a pic of what I am refering too and need it to do. 

I need to run a 1mm endmill in between all of the extruded squares. As you can see it would be painful to select all contours and would be much better to select faces. 

Message 13 of 14
porsbym

Thank you both for the examples.

Message 14 of 14
steveripplingerjr

I am having a similar issue that might be rleated to solving the face selection.

As you can see in my picture all of my other pockets are registering fine and generating wonderful toolpaths. The one around the screw pocket though I cannot find a way to get the toolpath to generate propely. I have tried several selections manually and no luck. 

I can send the file to someone at autodesk if you cannot assist by visially looking at it. 

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report