Announcements
Due to scheduled maintenance, the Autodesk Community will be inaccessible from 10:00PM PDT on Oct 16th for approximately 1 hour. We appreciate your patience during this time.
Community
Fusion Manufacture
Talk shop with the Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) Manufacture Community. Share tool strategies, tips, get advice and solve problems together with the best minds in the industry.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2D Contour, Contour Not Machined due to Collision Warning, Tool Related

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
CHRISDZ9PN
293 Views, 4 Replies

2D Contour, Contour Not Machined due to Collision Warning, Tool Related

I am trying to machine flutes into a sheet of material, .75 inches thick.  The flutes are spaced out at 1 inch with a depth of .5 inches across the surface of a sheet of 4' x 10' material.  I'm using a 1 inch ball end milling tool to do these cuts and whenever I go to generate the tool path and simulate, I get the error:

Feature flags: setup-sheet-viewer

Warning: A contour was not machined because the given lead parameters would cause a collision!

Generation completed with 1 warning(s) in 187.0ms.

Can anyone offer any insight as to why this is happening? I have used a different point cutting tool on this tool path and that one generates perfectly.  It has to be something about how this tool interacts with the tool path, but I'm not clear as to what.  Thanks for any help.

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
seth.madore
in reply to: CHRISDZ9PN

It's going to be really difficult to help you to a solution without seeing the Fusion file. Can you share it here?
File > Export > Save to local folder, return to thread and attach the .f3d file in your reply

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing
Message 3 of 5
CHRISDZ9PN
in reply to: seth.madore

So head's up, the file is pretty rudimentary as I'm very new to all this. We're just trying to get the program to cut these 1 inch channels at 1 inch intervals across the entire panel.  

Message 4 of 5
lukeT8TTM

change your lead in sweep angle to zero to make this work

lukeT8TTM_1-1676498197505.png

Message 5 of 5
seth.madore

While the above suggestion does technically remove the warning, it's also important to recognize that, at its core, Fusion Manufacturing leverages the power of both sketches and solid models. When one creates a Setup with only sketch elements, it becomes an increasingly cumbersome file to work with, as many elements of the workflow rely on the knowledge of stock/model size, but XY and Z.
For example, your tool is a .800 ball type endmill. Are you looking at producing a full radius groove, or are you just looking for something that will establish width with no regard for the depth and finish in the bottom? A proper toolpath (such as Parallel) would require some form of solid model to work with

Seth Madore
Customer Advocacy Manager - Manufacturing

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report