cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add property to file (attachment) when upload/download files to/from F360M

Add property to file (attachment) when upload/download files to/from F360M

We have created an add-in for Microsoft Office Word and Excel to be able to check in/out files to Fusion 360 Manage directly from Word/Excel. We can also search for items/files from the add-in.

We are looking at improving the workflow and are discussing ways of finding where the file is coming from if a user downloads the file directly from F360M instead of check-out from the Office application.

It would be great if it was possible to read from some property on the downloaded file which item the file is attached to.

So our idea: When a user uploads or downloads files (attachments) to Fusion 360 Manage, F360M should give the file a property containing dmsID, URN, URL, or item descriptor - or any other property making it possible to find the specific item via the API.

Example:

dmsID written to Details -> Code

properties excel file.png

2 Comments
loganmitchellQR9PQ
Community Visitor

Adding a property to files will enhance the workflow of businesses by providing a way to track and associate files with specific items or projects. This makes it easier for users to organize and locate files within F360M

philipfrench
Collaborator

No, seriously, no!

A content management system should not change the file in any way, imho.

I want exactly the same bytes back out, that I put in. The checksum on file content should match.

I think is a bad idea for a PLM system to manipulate the binary integrity of a file.

Sharepoint does this, and just look at the criticism this gets online.

I would like the attachment model to support extra metadata that I could PUT via a REST call, and GET back out.
This would be like a little JSON package that 'hides' alongside the attachment, but is separate from the file binary content.
That would be cool.

If your Office addin wants to set the FILE metadata on the file directly before uploading, so that it is available when on the file later when you download, I don't see a problem with that. It is normal for applications to inject thumbnails, tracking metadata, digital signature, etc into the file content they save, so I think your add-in would just be an extension of that.

Just my 10 cents. At minimum, please give a tenant setting to opt-out of this functionality.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Submit Idea  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report