Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTML formatting a field using scripting, not computed field

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
1417 Views, 8 Replies

HTML formatting a field using scripting, not computed field

Hi,

I'm trying to change the color of a single line text using scripting instead of the usual 'computed field' approach.  Is this possible?  My equivalent 'computed field' code looks like this;

CASE CHECKBOX_1 
WHEN 0 THEN
CASE STATUS_1
WHEN 1 THEN '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:green; background:green; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">GRN</span>'
WHEN 2 THEN '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:red; background:red; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">RED</span>'
WHEN 3 THEN '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:yellow; background:yellow; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">YEL</span>'
WHEN 4 THEN '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:blue; background:blue; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">BLU</span>'
END
ELSE '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:black; background:black; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">BLA</span>'
END

This works, however, I have 20 or so fields to apply this logic to.  It would be much simpler to manage using a behavior script to process this as a loop for CHECKBOX and STATUS 1-20.  

Thanks for your help.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
gasevsm
in reply to: Anonymous

Try this. http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_switch.asp
In each case statements you would need to assign the new value to the item field with something like this example;

case 1:
item.FIELD_NAME = '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:green; background:green; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">GRN</span>';
break;

You may need to escape some of the " characters but that's the gist of it.

HTH,
--mg

Martin Gasevski | Fusion 360 Team Product Manager
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: gasevsm

Thanks Martin,

I have the case and conditional aspects working, but can't get the HTML formatting to work.  How do I deal with "escaping" characters?  I'm not familiar with that.

Looking at just a part of the code...

var green = '<span style="text-align:center; line-height:30px; color:green; background:green; width:50px; float:left; height:25px;">GRN</span>';

item.FIELD = green;

When the script runs the resulting error is:  "At least one of the input values was set to an illegal value."

Any suggestions on getting the HTML to be accepted and execute?

Message 4 of 9
gasevsm

I'll give it a try and post a working code once I make it work; it's not a problem ))

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks Martin!
Message 6 of 9
gasevsm

Here's a working example, Ty.

1. your field needs to be made into a non-computed field.

2. in your script use this format to set value for each case. eg.

item.TEST_FIELD_FORMATTING = '<span style=\"text-align:center;line-height:30px;color:red;background:red;width:50px;float:left;height:25px;\">RED</span>';

May be subtle to see, so what I did is:

- ecaped the double-quotes within the script by placing backslash in front of each them

- also removed all whitespaces from the string that is within those (now escaped) double quotes.

Yo ucould use this model and the JS switch/case statement to get it finished.  I recommend always setting a switch() { default: } case as well to something recognizable - saves from tons of debugging if none of the case(s) match the expression you're switching on.

I should add, I tested on Chrome. Test the effect of this new javascript-driven formatting of field values in few browsers to see how each handles the HTML character escaping approach. I expect it'd be no problems but let me know if find any incosistency; more than happy to explore an alternate solution 😉 

Cheers,

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous

Hi Martin, is there a particular field type I should use? I'm using single line text and the result is the field simply says the HTML text and does not format as hoped.

-Ty
Message 8 of 9
gasevsm

Hi Ty,

I used SLT field as well; I made sure to edit the field first to clear the computed formula and re-save the field. Only thereafter I used your original html formatting in a action script to make it work as per my example below. Let me know if its still not working after this; we might connect briefly offline to explore the solution together.

Message 9 of 9
gasevsm

After meeting together with Ty, we found it was sufficient to use a *read-only* ParagraphWithoutLineBreaks field type to affect its formatting via action script; there wasn't a need for escaping the " characters either in the script code.
An alternate route is to start with a computed SingleLineText (SLT) field containing a set formula, edit the field definition to remove its formula and save, and then use an action script to affect its formatting. The key is a normal SLT wouldn't work - you must start with SLT containing computed formula, then clear it and continue scripting against the field thereafter.
Learn something new every day.)) Cheers..

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report