Fusion Manage Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Fusion Manage (formerly Fusion 360 Manage) Forum. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Fusion Manage topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modern UI: Can Relationships carry forward?

16 REPLIES 16
Message 1 of 17
Anonymous
496 Views, 16 Replies

Modern UI: Can Relationships carry forward?

Hello,

I have a Document WS, and would like to create relationships across documents (this is a Revision Controlled WS). However, I've noticed that the Relationships I add on a specific version, don't carry forward to the system generated Working Version. Is this expected functionality?

How can this be automated?

Thanks!

16 REPLIES 16
Message 2 of 17
tony.mandatori
in reply to: Anonymous

That's not what I see in the classic UI.

For me, the relationships carry forward and the icon changes to reflect that it was carried forward.

This is how the old version looks: 

before.png

This is how the new version looks:

after.png

You can recreate these relationships through script by:

1. Looking at the Revision List for the old version using (item.descriptor.revisionList[idx].dmsID
  2. Retrieving the DMSID of the version
  3. Loading the previous version via the DMSID and (oldVersion=loaditem(DMSID))
  4. Getting the relationships (oldVersion.relationships);
  5. Adding them to the new version (item.relationships.addRelated

Message 3 of 17
dvirh

Wendy,

The intention is definitely to carry the relationships to the new revision (and the working). If this is not what you are seeing, I recommend to open a bug report on it.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: dvirh

Thanks! I will test this again.

Another question though, how are relationships maintained with revisioning WS?

Example:

- Document A: Rev 1 is related to Document X: Rev 3 and Document Y: Rev 4

Use Case:

- I want to make sure that when Document X is revised and becomes Rev 4, it will still be related to Document A.

Question:

- Do I need to associate it to the Working Revision instead of the Released versions?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 17
tony.mandatori

I think you're OK.

When Document X is revised to Rev 4, it will still be related to Document A Rev 1 - but the icon will be blue to indicate that the relationhip was carried forward from revision 3..

If you want to keep them in rev synch such that both revise together, then you will need to attach the new version (either manually or via script).  For example some people want both X and A to revise together.  FLC doesn't attempt to keep revisions in synch.

Message 6 of 17
gasevsm

Hi Wendy,
The link is persisted to the specific dmsid selected at time of adding the item ~ if you add unreleased, then relationship will stay to that version when it becomes revA; if add working it'll stay to that version when it becomes revB, or directly add latest or superceeded revision as a relationship. Did you have anything else in mind behaviorally?

Martin Gasevski | Fusion 360 Team Product Manager
Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
in reply to: gasevsm

Hi Martin,

I will test this more, but what I am looking for is for the relationship between Documents to be maintained, regardless of their versions. This means that:

Document A: Rev 1, which is related to Document X: Rev 3; will always be related to Document X automatically. So, when Document X becomes Rev 4, Rev 5, etc; this relationship will just be updated, not static on a version at a particular point in time.

Does the system do that?

Thanks!

Message 8 of 17
gasevsm

In your example, are documents items or files? If former, this can be done by one of two ways:
- picklist field with latest revision using picklist definition from the Manager defined as all-revisions. More on this in the help for picklist options.
- using effectivity rules and BOM tab, not necessarily relarionships tab. In essence, define effectivity dates when releasing these document items, such that date bias at parent ducments' bom would auto select the closest child docuement revision. This even givea you control in cases where docA-rev1 may not necesarily always want to consume very latest rev of docX eg consume rev 7, but you need to rev docA to rev2 in order to consume docX rev8+. You can find more about bom effectivity in the help file.

Hope its clear,

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks Martin!

To clarify, when I mentioned Documents, I meant Document Items (your assumption was correct).

I will test the approach with the BOMs. However, for documents, there is no effectivity date, once a document is Published, it becomes Effective. Do you see any issues with this approach?

Note: the picklist approach would not work because it has to be a-way relationship, and there is a 1:many relationship between the Document Item and the related Document Items.

Thanks!

Message 10 of 17
dvirh

There is no issue with that Wendy.

In fact, Fusion Lifecycle always has effectivity for all revision controlled items. By default the effectivity is the release date. So as long as you use the default configuration of the BOM (using 'today' as the date) then you'll get the latest related document.

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 11 of 17
Anonymous

Thanks!

I am confused though in my testing. When I test this the relationship is only one way, cannot figure out how to make it 2 way. Any ideas on why this may be?

Thanks!

Message 12 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Martin, I tested the BOM approach and looks promising! However, I cannot get the relationship to be a 2 way relationship. Is there a way to make it a 2 way relationship?

Message 13 of 17
gasevsm

It is a two-way relationship automatically. I am happy to say that the coming 11.02 release in March will expose the BOM WhereUsed tab, to look upwards to all parent relationships.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Martin, so to clarify, this means that until we don't have access to the Where Used section in Modern UI, the user will not be able to see the 2 way relationship. Thus, at this point, we can create the Relationship, but we cannot see the 2 way association. Correct?

Thanks!

Message 15 of 17
dvirh

Wendy,

Relationships that are managed in the 'Relationship tab' show up on the relationship tab of the related item. Those are available today and you should be able to see them. A user will need to have access to the relationship tab of the related item in order to see the relationship so if you are not seeing the tab, you will need to add the permission to it. The 'Where Used' tab is unrelated to this and shows the relationship to parents that are managed in their BOM tab. 

Hagay Dvir
Engineering Manager
Fusion Manage
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 16 of 17
Anonymous

Hi Hagay,

Relationships don't work for us because the relationship does not respect the new versions. For example, if I associate Document A Rev 1, to Document B Rev 1, when Document B moves to Rev 2, this relationship is not updated. Per the explanation Martin provided, this is because the Relationship is at the DMSID level. Thus, we are looking to use BOM to handle the relationships across Documents. However, the problem we face now with it, is that this is not showing the 2 way relationship (but it respected the revisioning). From my understanding the 'Where Used' tab would give us this visibility. Is that the case?

Thanks,

Message 17 of 17
gasevsm

Yes WhereUsed tab arriving with coming release would give you that reverse child>parent visibility.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report