Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

x,y coordinates

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
5690 Views, 8 Replies

x,y coordinates

how do you add a circle or anything into a sketch using x,y coordinates. I was trained on smartcam,kadkey ,mastercam.these programs use xy coord, to design an object. I seem to be lost without them.  also is there a undo button somewhere

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TheCADWhisperer
in reply to: Anonymous

I used CADKey 30 years ago for about 7 yrs.

First thing I do setting up Bridgeport mill or Hardinge lathe is establish 0,0,0 origin.

I don't remember it being any different.
CAD is CAD.

The Cartesian Coordinate system pre-dates CAD.

Dimension to the Origin Center Point (the BORN Technique).

File>Export and then Attach your *.f3d file here.

Undo.png

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

i used cadkey in the early 90s.  when you wanted to draw  a line you had choices such as to end of enity, center of circle, or you typed in your x,y,zposition .that is what i would like to do. is it possible to do this with 360. i am only using 2d for plasma
Message 4 of 9
TheCADWhisperer

Rather than type in coordinates - I use parametric dimensions to the Origin.  The parametric dimensions are the same as the Cartesian coordinates.

These are trivially easy to change (I rarely get something exactly right the first time - so ease of editing is a paramount consideration for me).

Message 5 of 9
davebYYPCU

Fusion sketches does not have a method of input for absolute coordinates at the time of creation of an article. (Generally, there are exceptions)

It does allow input of relative coordinates.

You described a workflow, (have to know the coordinates before input) that's way harder to use than Fusion,

because Fusion allows coordinates input after creation, as said, they are dimensions.

- seem lost with out them - 

just a change of workflow, put it somewhere, then dimension it.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: TheCADWhisperer

i now see how not using xy works, and how you can move and change things.. now can you tell me how ,, without using xy coord does the sketch get transformed into G code
Message 7 of 9
chrisplyler

Because when you go into the CAM environment, you can identify your stock and position an origin wherever you want it to be.

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: chrisplyler

thanks. i guess i have to get my mindset into the new tech
Message 9 of 9
Anonymous

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report