Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wind coil on square form

6 REPLIES 6
SOLVED
Message 1 of 7
Anonymous
1720 Views, 6 Replies

wind coil on square form

Hi-

I'm looking to show a coil of copper wire wound around a rectangular form with radiused corners. So far I just have the outline I want the winding to look like (except the radius is too big). the real coil would be several hundred turns with stacked layers of wire, but I'd be ok with just the outside layer looking like the coil. Any ideas?

Thanks, Greg

6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

Personally, I would not try to model this.  You could do it, but it would be pretty slow, even for the outer-most layer of wire.

I would be tempted to just use an appearance.  Set your coil body appearance to, say, Polished Copper.  Then, apply "Stainless Steel - Brushed Linear Long" to just the outside faces.  Then, customize this material to have the same color properties as copper, and bump up the scale to  pretty big.  The result is OK if you are not looking for great details:

wire coil rendered.png

Here are the settings I used for the stainless steel brushed material:

wire coil material settings.png

If it is not obvious how to do this, let me know, and I can do a screencast.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 3 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: jeff_strater

Oh, I forgot one critical detail:  You have to set the "Texture Map Controls" for the body to "Cylindrical" in order to get the brushed pattern to line up on the face:

texture map control 1.png

texture map control 2.png

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous

Hi-

Thanks for the help. I think I did what you suggested, but I get a funny seam right on top. I tried applying another appearance, then the new one, but no luck. I also tried starting over but on a different surface, but the seam always came back in the same place. Any ideas on how to fix this?

-Greg
Message 5 of 7
jeff_strater
in reply to: Anonymous

good observation, @Anonymous.  I did not notice that seam at first, but it does exist on my model as well:

wire coil seam.png

I don't know whether you can fix this, to be honest.  Any time you have a texture like this, there has to be a seam, but I'm not sure why it doesn't occur on an edge, where it will be less apparent.  I will try to find out.

If you really want to try to model the wires, we can look at that.  I think if you don't really try to model the coil, there are ways that you could do that that won't be quite as expensive.

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 6 of 7
jeff_strater

followup:  I tried actually modeling the wires.  Not as a coil, but as an array of bodies that were all the same.   I started with creating a sketch on the edge of the main body, and drew a semi-circle:

wire coil modeled2.png

Then I used Sweep and picked the edge of the coil body as the path.  I chose "New Body", so I could keep the geometry separate:

wire coil modeled3.png

Then I created a rectangular pattern of this new body along the width of the main body.  I played around with lots of spacing and size options.  Here is just one:

wire coil modeled4.png

If you zoom out, it looks pretty good.  Here is a rendering:

wire coil modeled.png

But, the bottom line is:  This is pretty slow, and affects model size and performance.  I put my "wires" into a different component so that I could turn them off.  But still, compute performance is affected by this method, so use it with caution

Jeff

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 7 of 7
Anonymous

Hey, that looks great. I'll probably implement it when I need to supply drawings for presentations. Thanks for all the help.

-Greg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report