Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I find "Paste New?"

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
karl
299 Views, 5 Replies

Why can't I find "Paste New?"

I's like to make a unique copy of Component 1 in the attached file so I can modify it without affecting Component 1.  I thought that copying the component (selected in the Browser), right-clicking in the design, and selecting "Paste New" was the way to do that, but "Paste New" doesn't appear in the popup menu.  Has "Paste New" been replaced with something else, or am I doing it wrong?

On a related note, I'm going to want to extrude parts of the sketch for the new component different amounts from Component 1.  Since Component 1 is derived from Sketch 1, which is outside of Component 1, my hunch is I'm going to have a problem doing it this way (since the sketch won't be part of the new component).  If so, how should I approach this differently?

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: karl

@karl wrote:

... I thought that copying the component (selected in the Browser), right-clicking in the design, and selecting "Paste New" was the way to do that, but "Paste New" doesn't appear in the popup menu.  Has "Paste New" been replaced with something else, or am I doing it wrong?

nothings changed.  if you're selecting from the design space on the model somewhere, you probably aren't selecting the component, but rather a body or a face.  in that case paste new won't be available.  right click on the component in the browser tree, copy.  then right click at the top level and paste new.

...On a related note, I'm going to want to extrude parts of the sketch for the new component different amounts from Component 1.  Since Component 1 is derived from Sketch 1, which is outside of Component 1, my hunch is I'm going to have a problem doing it this way ...

that approach will work fine.  the extrudes from both components will be controlled by the original sketch at the top level and can be extrude to different levels.

Message 3 of 6
karl

Aah, right-clicking on the top-level in the Browser exposes the Paste New command.  Got it.  

As for the sketch thing, after creating the new component, I can't seem to extrude from the sketch (using Press Pull) without affecting both components, as I feared.

Message 4 of 6
laughingcreek

Without seeing what your doing, can't tell why it's not working for you.  Works for me.  Why are you using press pull for extrudes?   You can directly edit your existing extrudes, or create be ones.

Message 5 of 6
karl
in reply to: laughingcreek

Never mind.  I figured out how to edit the sketch without affecting both components.  Problem solved.  Thanks.

Message 6 of 6
karl
in reply to: laughingcreek

> Press Pull

It often just seems more convenient and I didn't think there was a difference.  Apparently there is.  Why should I use Extrude instead, and when is Press Pull appropriate?

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report