Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why are there gaps in my toolpath?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
nduguidCKG6B
190 Views, 4 Replies

Why are there gaps in my toolpath?

Hey all, I'm new to Fusion, but have a good deal of 3d design experience.  I've imported a DXF.  The Sketch seems fine, but in a  milling operation (2D Trace), when I select a curve, some appear with gaps (in the attached image).  

My assumption is that there's broken/unwelded points or something, but I can't select these sections no matter what operation I pick or how many times I try.

I see that there are "inspection" tools, but I'm failing to find any to validate the curve?

What's going on here?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
etfrench
in reply to: nduguidCKG6B

What happens when you hold the 'Alt' key down while selecting the paths?  If you attach  your file, it will be easier to determine the cause of the failure.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 3 of 5
nduguidCKG6B
in reply to: etfrench

Alt doesn't seem to matter.  When I'm actually selecting the curve, the whole thing (including those gaps) gets highlighted when I mouse over.  But once I click, and the toolpath is made, it's got gaps.

Simplified my file to just the text in question.

Message 4 of 5
etfrench
in reply to: nduguidCKG6B

Imported dxf's and svg's can be problematic.  You'll probably need to redraw the offending paths.

One way to do this is to use the Mesh tools.

Start by extruding the letters with missing path segments.  (You will need to close the boundary on the N.)

Save the extruded letters as a mesh (stl).

Import the mesh back into Fusion 360.

In Mesh workspace select 'Create Mesh Section Sketch'.

Edit the sketch.

In the Sketch workspace, click on Create then 'Fit Curves to Mesh Section'.

Use the Spline and Line options in 'Fit Curve Type' to trace around the letter.  You don't need to go around the whole letter, just cover the missing sections. 

This image shows several bad sections:

BadPaths.JPG

And this shows path after using the Mesh tools:

GoodPath.JPG

Notes:

I would just use another toolpath to add the missing sections instead of trying to crop the original paths.

There are youtube videos on using the Mesh tools.  They're pretty simple once you get the hang of it.

ETFrench

EESignature

Message 5 of 5
nduguidCKG6B
in reply to: etfrench

Thanks etfrench. It's kind of disappointing, but I appreciate the answer. This is just a part of a larger, more complicated logo I wanted to etch into some surfaces. I guess I'm surprised that there aren't tools to fix things like this, given that the curves draw properly in the sketch. I certainly wouldn't want to try redrawing the whole thing, but I'll play with the mesh tools as you suggest.

Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Technology Administrators

Autodesk Design & Make Report