Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the right kind of joint to use here?

4 REPLIES 4
SOLVED
Message 1 of 5
GregHeumann
258 Views, 4 Replies

What is the right kind of joint to use here?

I've already got joints on the microswitches so that the levers operate properly. Now I want them to follow this cam - which is fixed to a crankshaft and flywheel and bunch of other stuff (hidden in this shot) so that the cam rotates on the smaller diameter's center. I thought "cylindrical" was it but can't make it work. 
GregHeumann_0-1599088096971.png

I've attached the entire model - which has a number of joints and I'm actually proud I've been able to get it to work this far - but it is far from perfect. However you can animate or manually spin the flywheel to see that the cam is indeed driven - but as soon as I try to make the microswitch to cam joints - I can no longer animate the rest of the model.

Screen Shot 2020-09-02 at 4.17.01 PM.png

P.S.  when I defined the "v-frame" I brought in my solenoid model so I could project the mounting holes. But in the "assembly" that WAS hidden and a new copy was properly joined. I don't know why it just showed up (incorrectly centered over the frame to the left of the correct one) but I didn't notice wen I did the screen shot and exported the model for upload for this thread. I have subsequently rehidden it on the V-Frame component and all is well.

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
wmhazzard
in reply to: GregHeumann

I looked at your model and I cant find where to edit the joint limits on the micro switches but they should be set with a rest position so they will return when moved. You may need to move the joints to the top level, I am not sure. Then you can enable a contact set, under the assemble tab, between the cam and the switches, that will move the switches with the cam.

Edit, I went to the linked switch component and updated the joint there but the contact set failed to work. 

Message 3 of 5
davebYYPCU
in reply to: GregHeumann

There is no “Joint” for that, 

it’s contact set, with existing Joint limit rest position set so that it is trying to go deeper than the cam surface.

Might help....

Message 4 of 5
GregHeumann
in reply to: wmhazzard

A HA! Contact sets. That's the ticket! (I already had joint limits and rest position defined.) 

Thanks, guys!

Message 5 of 5
wmhazzard
in reply to: wmhazzard

Updating the switch assembly got the contact set to work if you manually rotate the cam or flywheel.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report