Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Using a driven dimension to drive a patten

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
terryHCEB7
630 Views, 5 Replies

Using a driven dimension to drive a patten

I'm working on creating an adaptive model to lay out our crates for the shipping department.

I've gotten it so I can go into the parameter table to quickly update the part profile dimensions which updates the size of the modeled part.

Lets give it some arbitrary dimension here, PART_LG= 96" long x PART_WD = 44" deep for the perimeter profile.

Then created a rectangular pattern for stack height

Quantity = QTY_PART (3)

Distance = PART_THK (.94)

= 2.82" total part height

Then I have the values in my parameter table for creating the vertical space inside the crate for packaging materials, foam, cardboard, added gap, etc.

(I've taken a lot of time to add in the values for our materials, standard gap allowances, and other standard measurements.)

-( ( MARGIN_BUFFER * 2 ) + ( PART_THK * QTY_PART ) )

Margin_Buffer = GAP_3 + SHT_FOAM_SE + STFM_THK_SE

GAP3 =.06

SHT_FOAM_SE = .0625

STFM_THK_SE = .5

= .623 * 2 = 1.245 total part stack height, so far so good, everything jives!

All of that gives me the correct quantities and vertical stack height for my parts and a margin top and bottom

Moving on,

On another sketch I've projected the perimeter profile of the part and then offset for my crate frame lumber, using the 'Margin_BUFFER' parameter again, everything still rocks!

At this point I can change my base parameters for length, depth, height, part qty, and part thickness.

Everything updates and stays together as it should. Groovy!!

My next step was to create a driven/reference dimension to drive another rectangular pattern to layout the spacing of the runners for the bottom/top of the crate.

When I go to reference the driven dimension for the rectangular pattern it refuses to accept the d### value as an input?

I'd love to be able to keep this as simple as possible, without having to go and create more geometry when I already have everything I need to drive my last parameter.

But it looks as if I'll need to go back in and create extra geometry for this part of the operation, or another series of formulas?

A few things I'd love to see in the future

1. A button to clear out unused parameters from the parameter table when everything is all said and done.

2. An independent dialog that ties in directly to the parameter table that can be altered to display only those parameters that are required to update specific dimensions/values

3. Driven dimensions that are usable across the entirety of the model.

4. A lock button on values in the parameter table, just a small checkbox to lock certain values from alteration.

5. It would be great of there were some kind of formulaic logic built into the parameter table, there are so many times I need to control the quantity and or spacing of parts based upon certain dimensions.

i.e IF Part_LG < 60 Then QTY = 4 ELSE QTY = 6

I hope that makes sense, sorry for the long and drawn out dialog.

I thought if I gave a real world example it may make more sense.

Updated added model file for reference.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6

In Fusion Driven dimensions can only be used within the sketch that it exists.

You can use Driven dimensions anywhere you want in Autodesk Inventor Professional.

Message 3 of 6
g-andresen
in reply to: terryHCEB7

Hi,

1. As long as IF / THEN / ELSE is not available, there is still the way via SIGN

hinges quantity.png

2.  If it is possible to project a driven length as a "true length" into another sketch, one can again generate a driven length from the projection and use it in this sketch, e.g. in an equation.

günther

Message 4 of 6
terryHCEB7
in reply to: g-andresen

I ended up creating 3 additional formulas that should follow any changes I make.

The first one captures the overall length of the crate, the second gives me the spacing I need between, and the third gives me the spacing for to create the pattern spacing.

Attached the file so if anyone has a better method or need something similar they can contribute to the discussion.

Thanks for the feedback and help.

Message 5 of 6
tookemtoni
in reply to: g-andresen

Hello @g-andresen

I tried your #2 suggestion. Attached is a design where the shelf pin hole count is calculated from a driven dimension.  It didn't work.  Any suggestions?

Fusion360_docmJVTuiA.gif

explorer_GAqH55uo9D.jpgexplorer_lR326PkK94.jpg

Message 6 of 6
laughingcreek
in reply to: tookemtoni

the cause of this is as stated in the second post.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report