Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to open or import .dxf files

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
billostratum
921 Views, 10 Replies

Unable to open or import .dxf files

I have been successfully importing various .dxf files for a few months. These files have been exported from Rhino. My last successful import was 2/20 (about 40 days ago). I'm now back to needing to import .dxf files, but it's not working.

There are a number of methods to get a .dxf into a new, empty, untitled Fusion design. I think I've tried them all. In each case, I get NO error messages, but I see no sketch objects.

I created a simple circle.dxf to illustrate (see attached).

Interestingly the different import methods produce different results.

1) My preferred method is the 'Import DXF' command under Solid/Insert. I select a .dxf from my computer in the browse dialog. It appears that the select command completed, but the OK button is not enabled in the small import dialog.

2) The 'bulk import' under Utilities/DXF IMPORT creates an empty Component called 'circle'.

3) File, Open (from my computer) creates no sketch, changes the filename tab from "untitled' to 'circle' (but no asterisk, so no design changes).

4) If I Upload the .dxf file to my project, and then 'Insert into current design', I see a Sketches collection with one sketch called 'Default' but it has no objects.

5) My non-trivial .dxf has many objects on many layers. if I upload and use 'Insert into current design' I see all of the layers as sketches, each having no objects. Note: This non-trivial .dxf file is the exact same file that worked 40 days ago.

6) I have a script that uses ImportManager. ImportManager returns without any error indication, but the resulting 

comp.sketches has length 0.

7) I exported a simple circle, made in Fusion, to .dxf and then imported. That worked fine.

I've updated to the latest Fusion release.

It appears that the Rhino-exported files that worked before no longer work. (They also work in other CAD and CAM programs I have on hand).

If any of the clues above suggest a solution or a diagnostic path to follow I would love some help. I'm hoping there is some environment option that has changed.

Bill

billoStratum
10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

That's a very large file to define a simple 2D circle! I also can't, at first go, bring into Fusion.

Message 3 of 11
billostratum
in reply to: billostratum

Thanks for trying the import. Glad to hear it isn't just me.

Yes it is large for a circle. This was simply to illustrate the problem. My real .dxf's represent more complex curves that are approximated by small arcs.

billoStratum
Message 4 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

1. inkscape refuses to open with error message due to faulty elements.
2. ACAD opens the file but does not deliver a usable file with different DXF versions.
3. V-Carve delivers a DXF which is heavily segmented (in arcs) in Fusion.

Günther

Message 5 of 11
billostratum

circle.dxf opens perfectly in the Autodesk online viewer.

However, when I open my larger .dxf in the online viewer, it displays fine but is accompanied by the warning: AutoCAD-ClippedView The 2D model view is clipped to the last saved view...  Is it possible that my .dxf's have a clipped view that was ignored in Fusion previously but is now being processed somehow?

billoStratum
Message 6 of 11
billostratum

Rhino has a variety of Export 'Schemes' for .dxf export. I had previously experimented with those schemes to find one that worked with Fusion. I believe that scheme no longer works with Fusion, but I have found another one (called Default) that does work with the current version of Fusion.

billoStratum
Message 7 of 11
g-andresen

Hi,

Please make sure that in future you only reply to specific posts and no longer to the entire topic via "Post Reply".

günther

Message 8 of 11

@billostratum You might want to make a custom scheme for fusion using the settings below. I've found these work quite reliably with lines, arcs and splines. Edit, you need to match all the settings not just the ones in the rectangle. The 2 in the rectangle are just the important ones for exporting splines.

image.png

Mark Hughes
Owner, Hughes Tooling
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 11

I have the same thing, but without "Split curves at kinks".

I have one small problem where one curve that should be closed isn't. I tried checking "Split curves at kinks" to see if that solved the problem; it didn't.

I'm still trying to track down that problem, but I think I can live with it.

Thanks for the extra info.

Bill

billoStratum
Message 10 of 11

Update: In case someone else has a similar problem in the future.

After using the Export scheme recommended I still had one curve that wouldn't close in Fusion. I tracked it to a small line segment (.004mm) in the middle of two curved segments. I could manually fix that but don't want to rely on manual fixes.

I unchecked the "Explode polycurves" box. That fixed the "small segment" problem for me and I got all of the nicely-closed curves I expected.

Bill

billoStratum
Message 11 of 11

I have a similar issue. I used to import DXF's directly into a sketch generated from Lightburn (Laser cutting software). I have done this for the last couple of years successfully. Now when I try to import a DXF into my sketch, nothing happens... The 'OK' button is not enabled in the small dialog.

I have been able to find a workaround for now - but I do hope this issue gets resolved.

My workaround is to upload the DXF directly via the data panel, and then insert that into my current design, breaking the external link. The annoying issue with this is that it scales incorrectly (10 times larger). It never used to do that when inserting directly into my sketch.

I have recently done two things that may have affected the issue.

1. I recently updated Mac OS to Sonoma 14.1

2. I have recently updated Fusion to the latest (Fusion 2.0.19725 x86_64).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report