Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Cut Flutes in Custom Thread

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Eatonasher
498 Views, 3 Replies

Unable to Cut Flutes in Custom Thread

I'm trying to model a tap I need to make for a project. I have tried several different ways of combining/cutting sections out of the tap's stock, but I am always given an error when I try to do the last step. All I'm trying to do, is combine/cut the thread from a tube with the modelled thread on the inside, from the tap's profile.

It appears as though Fusion cannot remove a coil from a body when said body has both 1) a taper on the end and 2) hemicircular straight flutes cut down the length of the stock. I've tried approaching this from several different ways (changing the order of operations to see if a particular order will work), but it always throws an error when I try to cut the thread from the extruded blank material.

I'm sure I could convert the model to a mesh and make the changes that way, but I want to CNC this so I need the dimension accuracy. Does anyone know how I can model this on Fusion? Or is there another program you'd recommend for tool & cutter design? I'm using the current educational version with all updates and thus have access to all other Autodesk products (if you recommend I use something like Inventor).

Thank you in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
g-andresen
in reply to: Eatonasher

Hi,

Can you show what it's all about with pictures or screencasts.
This way we don't have to speculate and can reduce misleading perceptions.

But the best thing is always to share the design.

günther

Message 3 of 4
wmhazzard
in reply to: Eatonasher

I am not sure what you are having troubles with but is this what you are looking for?

tap1.JPGtap2.JPG

Message 4 of 4
Eatonasher
in reply to: g-andresen

Hi günther,

I thought there might be an issue with the program, so I reinstalled Fusion and am now on day 2 of trying to reinstall it... I'll get back to you with a screencast as soon as I'm able to reinstall Fusion.

Thanks,

Eaton

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report